This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Not Booting?

Everything was ok until I got up this morning, then the system wouldn't boot.

Strabgly, the live USBs wont boot either.

The boot process gets stuck at: Flush Journal to persistent storage
    It also says: Failed to mount /home

I have no idea what's going on or why the live usbs won't boot.
    They just hang forever

What boot order is setup in your BIOS?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hard drive first, the system boots occasionally (like right now I just got into the system, but it freezes randomly). I usually just press F9 and I can select which USB to boot from. I choose the one I usually use, and then it just loads forever.

When I do get in successfully, a kworker makes everything freeze, I saw it in the "top" console program.

That and btrfs-transaction had 99% cpu usage.

When I go to boot Kubuntu normally (and after about 4 minutes a message appears saying kworker blocked for more than 120 seconds
      Tainted P OE 5.0.0-13 #14 Ubuntu
      Last edited by PhysicistSarah; May 01, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Is this a Desktop or Laptop? IF a desktop, I'd open it up and check all the cables to ensure they are seated firmly; that includes the connectors on the end of the ribbon cables; they can loosen (from the ribbon) and cause loss of contact on one or more pins.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Is this a Desktop or Laptop? IF a desktop, I'd open it up and check all the cables to ensure they are seated firmly; that includes the connectors on the end of the ribbon cables; they can loosen (from the ribbon) and cause loss of contact on one or more pins.
          It's a laptop, but I'll do that when I get back home.

I don't see how this causes the huge spike in cpu/disk though. Or why the live usbs cant boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Don't know what it was, but it wasn't hardware related. I ran a bunch of tests on the drive and memory.

I don't know what happened, but I was able to boot from the USB's again. They just took significantly more time than usual.

I just restored the @ subvolume and everything works fine now.

I happy I listened to @GreyGeek and kept btrfs. What a lifesaver!

Just swap out the old subvolume and insert the new one. Great design!

Comment

Working...
            X