This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma not booting after switching to Nouveau driver

The system was running fine using the appropriate Nvidia driver for my FX 580 grahics card. However, after switching to the Nouveau driver, Plasma won't start anymore. I can boot into the command line mode but don't know how to switch back to the Nvidia driver from here. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

one thing to try is to get rid of any stray Nvidia bits that uninstalling the driver leaves behind:

Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    then reboot

you should also be able to reinstall an Nvidia driver after this as well:

Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    But it is probably safer to make sure you can get to a desktop first.

Comment

Autoremove removed nvidia-settings and some other stuff but Plasma still doesn't start. I just remeber, I am not sure whether I had selected 'Plasma Wayland' session before my last login in graphic mode. But this should somehow work using the Nouveau driver, shouldn't it?
      Last edited by peerwal; May 01, 2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

What happens after you log in, a black screen, a command prompt? If it is a black screen, is there a mouse cursor?

at the command prompt, what does the command $ startx show or do?
        Last edited by claydoh; May 01, 2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your assistance. I never reached the login screen. System boot-up ended up in a black screen with a blinking text cursor in the upper left corner. However, startx opened a rudimentary graphic desktop, so i could open a terminal window and install the NVIDIA driver. Doing so, suddenly my ordinary login screen opened and after logging in and another reboot my Plasma desktop was back again.

The NVIDIA drivers are my default drivers . I just wanted to try out the NOUVEAU drivers. Seems I shouldn't try it again in the near future.

Comment

Working...
          X