This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending Files to a Phone on a Plane?

I'm going to be taking a 14(ish) hour plane flight to Japan soon as a part of study abroad.

I can try and fit a bunch of movies on my phone's HDD, but I don't think that I'll have enough for everything I need.

The plane has a 5V DC charger, but no 120V AC ports for my PC.

I'm aware that I could just pull out a USB cable and transfer the files that I want to the phone this way, but is there any support for a protocol like bluetooth or Wi-Fi direct yet so this can be done wire-lessly?

As long as the laptop has bluetooth, you are good. Most all laptops have it, unless it is ancient. It can be slow, though. Slow.
    You pair the phone as you would any bluetooth device. I find it easiest to turn BT on on the laptop, if it isn't already, and pair from the phone.

But it will be slowwwwwwwww

I have a decent phone and a new-ish laptop, and this is the speed for a 300mb file:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190429_220144.png
Views:	1
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	644185

I suggest cables, or an sd card for the phone, if it can take one. it's what I did for my recent trip from Georgia to Australia. I knew there was little chance of me being able to use my 11 inch chromebook travelling in the cheep seets much with any sort of ease.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      As long as the laptop has bluetooth, you are good. Most all laptops have it, unless it is ancient. It can be slow, though. Slow.
      You pair the phone as you would any bluetooth device. I find it easiest to turn BT on on the laptop, if it isn't already, and pair from the phone.

But it will be slowwwwwwwww

I have a decent phone and a new-ish laptop, and this is the speed for a 300mb file:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8083[/ATTACH]

I suggest cables, or an sd card for the phone, if it can take one. it's what I did for my recent trip from Georgia to Australia. I knew there was little chance of me being able to use my 11 inch chromebook travelling in the cheep seets much with any sort of ease.
      Wow, that's crazy! Wi-Fi direct is decently fast.

Comment

I haven't looked for anything related to Wifi Direct in a while, as most of the chatter seems to be from 2013, and either fruitless or incredibly complicated. It seems to be the same today.

Comment

kdeconnect uses WiFi, so unlikely on a plane. I haven't tried it with bluetooth but it works well on WiFi. Not yet available for iOS but nice on Android.

aptitude show kdeconnect
          Package: kdeconnect
          Version: 1.3.4-0ubuntu1
          State: installed
          Automatically installed: yes
          Priority: optional
          Section: universe/kde
          Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
          Architecture: amd64
          Description: connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma Workspace
          Tool to integrate the KDE Plasma Workspace with your smartphones and similar devices. It adds a set of plasmoid, plugins and services to the KDE Plasma
          Workspace. At the moment it only supports Android based devices.

Comment

If your phone can't take a microSD card, you should be able to find phone-compatible USB sticks from firms like Kingston.
            They have a regular USB on one end, and either a micro-USB, USB C, or Lightning connector on the other.

Comment

Working...
            X