This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Snaps

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this or not, but I thought that I'd start here since I've failed to find anyone else with a similar problem via Google searches.
    I've installed several snap packages and they all work really well right after they are installed. Specifically, the ones I've installed are Spotify and Mailspring, though there are a few others that I haven't used as often. My issue comes into play after I've restarted my computer. Somehow those programs have uninstalled themselves after the reboot. So I use Latte dock, and I click on Spotify which I have pinned and it says that the program is no longer available. I thought perhaps this was Latte dock playing around, but Spotify is not in the regular application launcher either.
    When snap installs a program on the computer it also installs a program folder in the home/snap folder. I've looked there and the folder for Spotify and Mailspring are still in that folder, but the apps are not around to be launched in the normal manner. The folders within that home/snap folder are all empty. I'm not sure if there was anything in those folders before the reboot.
    Normally I'd just say screw it and install Spotify and Mailspring via a deb package, but the Mailspring deb package is either old or is not working correctly with the Global menu plasmoid (the snap version worked fine).
    Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

Two days and no help? I usually need help here - but I will try helping you. First of all what basic diagnostics have you tried? 'snap' will get you a list of commands available. 'snap list' will list your snaps, the versions and give some indication whether they are installed correctly. 'snap refresh' will update your snaps. And so on.

So, what have you tried?

-=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
      Two days and no help? I usually need help here - but I will try helping you. First of all what basic diagnostics have you tried? 'snap' will get you a list of commands available. 'snap list' will list your snaps, the versions and give some indication whether they are installed correctly. 'snap refresh' will update your snaps. And so on.

So, what have you tried?

-=Ken=-
      I got some help on reddit, but according to the people on the Kubuntu subreddit, it's a bug. The program doesn't actually uninstall, it's still listed under snap --list, but the program is no longer has an association with the app launcher or latte dock. I don't know if a .desktop file is created when a snap is installed or not, but whatever causes there to be a listing in the app launcher goes away after the reboot. It seems to be only Kubuntu that's affected as my Antergos install works fine with snaps after snapd is installed. Granted I just use the AUR, but I tried a snap install and it worked fine.

They gave me a workaround if anyone else has this problem but I don't know if it works or not. Apparently, snap run programname works, and then that can be added manually to the app launcher in Plasma.
      Last edited by drmdub; Jan 09, 2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X