Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

/usr/share/config.kcfg - can users modify any files there?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/usr/share/config.kcfg - can users modify any files there?

EDIT: the user is on Ubuntu 18.10 and has Okular 1.4.3

This is in the context of Okular: set arbitrary pages in one row under the overview mode

The question relates to the overview mode. The poster wants more pages visible per row rather than the default three pages; even on zooming out, there still are only three pages per row but the "padding" increases (unlike the sample screenshot in https://okular.kde.org/images/screen...reviewmode.png where "reviewmode" may actually be "overviewmode" and shows four pages per row).

I looked at okular.git which has:
    Code:
    diff --git a/conf/okular.kcfg b/conf/okular.kcfg
    index f48d483..b1316a7 100644
    --- a/conf/okular.kcfg
    +++ b/conf/okular.kcfg
    @@ -189,7 +189,7 @@
     <default>true</default>
    </entry>
    <entry key="ViewColumns" type="UInt" >
    -   <default>1</default>
    +   <default>3</default>
     <min>1</min>
     <max>8</max>
    </entry>
    And my Okular (Version 1.3.3) does indeed have a default of "3" in /usr/share/config.kcfg/okular.kcfg .

Can this setting be modified by a user by adding something to $HOME/.local/share or to $HOME/.config?

If not, can/should /usr/share/config.kcfg/okular.kcfg be modified to taste knowing that the next okular update may override the value to something else? Or is it just not possible to change the contents of files in /usr/share/config.kcfg? I could try but I don't want to mess with system files without knowing the consequences.
    Last edited by chimak111; Dec 03, 2018, 09:34 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

This on 18.10 and okular 1.4.3.
    IIUC the .kcfg files are used to configure application settings files, not the application. I don't know how it gets to okularpartrc, but I've just edited ~/.config/okularpartrc to have
    Code:
    [PageView]
    ViewColumns=4
    and in "overview" mode on a pdf I get 4 across. Note that okular added a line "ViewMode=Summary" to the section I added.

Is that the desired result?

(On a really big screen in some cases I think it would be amazingly useful, very information dense.)
    Last edited by jlittle; Dec 04, 2018, 04:25 AM. Reason: typo
    Regards, John Little

Comment

@jlittle, Thanks! If you're active on Ask Ubuntu, please post an answer. If not, please let me know in which case I'll post the answer.
      Last edited by chimak111; Dec 04, 2018, 05:36 AM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

@jlittle's method works just fine. I have a 1366x768 laptop but here's what six columns looks like and my ~/.config/okularpartrc is this:

Code:
        [Main View]
        ShowLeftPanel=false

[PageView]
        ViewMode=Summary
        ViewColumns=6
        Attached Files
        Last edited by chimak111; Dec 04, 2018, 05:42 AM.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          If you're active on Ask Ubuntu, please post an answer. If not, please let me know in which case I'll post the answer.
          Ok, done. I've found the involved reputation system on the stack exchange forums off-putting, it's hard to start small and help a little here and there. I'm glad we don't have stuff like here, though I suppose it adds to the load on our admins.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            Ok, done. I've found the involved reputation system on the stack exchange forums off-putting, it's hard to start small and help a little here and there. I'm glad we don't have stuff like here, though I suppose it adds to the load on our admins.
            But there are quite a few questions that go unanswered there. So your presence, whenever you get a chance, would be most appreciated by Kubuntu users, and even, in this case of this question, a Ubuntu user

As for the reputation system, that's linked to privileges and is a bit understandable when you keep spammers et al in mind. Their Help Center is pretty decent as well.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
            X