This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logout, Shutdown, etc screen issue

Hi, after installing 18.10 I have a completely washed out, almost white log out, etc. back ground/splash screen and can hardly see any icons or text.
    Where can I change the back ground/splash. Looked in system settings but didn'r find anything there.

Cheers
    Fred
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

The setting is in Startup and Shutdown, Login Screen (SDDM), Breeze theme, click the background frame. But that's not the problem, Kubuntu comes with only one SDDM theme, Breeze, and it is set up with a !@#$ awful, cretinous, extreme blurring of the image, which you aptly report as completely washed out.

You could try getting a new theme. My results with KDE DLC are usually poor, so I haven't tried "Get New Theme" here.

But I've hacked the supplied theme to turn off the blur, I found on reddit: How to un-blur the background in login and lock screen in Plasma 5.13.x?. Edit the file /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/Main.qml, find the lines
    Code:
       WallpaperFader {
           visible: config.type == "image"
    and change the second to "visible: false". Quickly test it with
    sddm-greeter --test-mode --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze.

Of course, editing a system file... warning, here be dragons, and an update might overwrite the change. In fact, an update should overwrite this ... this ... I should breathe deeply and calm down. Maybe cloning the theme would be a good idea.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Leave / logout screen background ?

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
      Hi, after installing 18.10 I have a completely washed out, almost white log out, etc. back ground/splash screen and can hardly see any icons or text.
      Where can I change the back ground/splash. Looked in system settings but didn'r find anything there.

Cheers
      Fred
      Do you mean the screen which is displayed when you click the 'Leave' button ?

There is no setting. As default, the plasma 5.13 & 5.14 & Breeze LnF, are using darkened rectangle to hide the desktop:

Code:
      Rectangle {
      id: backgroundRect
      anchors.fill: parent
      //use "black" because this is intended to look like a general darkening of the scene. a dark gray as normal background would just look too "washed out"
      color: root.isLightColor(PlasmaCore.ColorScope.backgroundColor) ? PlasmaCore.ColorScope.backgroundColor : "black"
      opacity: 0.5
      }

Could you show your wallpaper ?
      Your theme ?
      Your leave screen ?

There is:
      Bug 382264 - Black buttons unreadable on the black logout screen - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=382264
      And a fix:
      KDE logout screen background color fix - https://phabricator.kde.org/D11262

If you really want to. You could tinker: How to set logout / shutdown / restart background image - https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=154087

An edited Breeze LnF theme with the image background

Last edited by Rog131; Nov 08, 2018, 05:03 AM.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        The setting is in Startup and Shutdown, Login Screen (SDDM), Breeze theme, click the background frame. But that's not the problem, Kubuntu comes with only one SDDM theme, Breeze, and it is set up with a !@#$ awful, cretinous, extreme blurring of the image, which you aptly report as completely washed out.

You could try getting a new theme. My results with KDE DLC are usually poor, so I haven't tried "Get New Theme" here.

But I've hacked the supplied theme to turn off the blur, I found on reddit: How to un-blur the background in login and lock screen in Plasma 5.13.x?. Edit the file /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/Main.qml, find the lines
        Code:
         WallpaperFader {
             visible: config.type == "image"
        and change the second to "visible: false". Quickly test it with
        sddm-greeter --test-mode --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze.

Of course, editing a system file... warning, here be dragons, and an update might overwrite the change. In fact, an update should overwrite this ... this ... I should breathe deeply and calm down. Maybe cloning the theme would be a good idea.
        Thanks man, unfortunately I really fubared this one. Don't ask, it is too embarrassing.

Anyway could you you please send me your full Main.qml file?

Or do you know of a way to recover the original?

I tried with the 18.04 version. That does NOT work.

Thanks for your efforts and owe you.

Cheers
        Fred

Edit: No worries.

Got it back by reinstalling sddm-theme-breeze.

But am still unsure if you mean this:
        WallpaperFader {
        visible = false
        Last edited by Fintan; Nov 09, 2018, 04:15 PM. Reason: Correction
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi Rog, good to see you are still here Thanks for the input and really like the screen shots you posted. Will try this out over the WE if I can find some time.
          Cheers and hope all is well or at least getting slightly better on your side of the pond
          Fred
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X