This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing help with korganizer

I can't seem to get my calandar, and contacts to sync over from Google. I get Google. I got google into the Main KOrganizer but it says not configured. When I clicked the add button to add accounts, Google shows up, Ion the left side of the panel there are no other choices, or any way to authenticate, with a password, it goes to 100% complete, then nothing, a red x inside of Google in the calendar, it says account does not exists. Is this something of a bug in 18.10?

Setting this up is like a second grade fire drill.

thanks for reading

I come to the conclusion that KDE built a beautiful mansion...and put a plastic door in front of the house.
    KOrganizer is a beautiful app, that just don't work, kmail, korganizer, KAdrress book is useless, you can't import any contacts into it. Unless you want to spend days, upon days and hand type every contact you have from your phone, it don't work you can't get your contacts, calendars, to do lists or anything else for that matter imported in.
    It is a shame the Devs, built such a beautiful set of apps that just don't work.
    It's always something with Linux... I'm tired...One distro after the other.

Comment

The only common factor in your complaint about all the distros you tried is ... you.

KMail 5.7.3 is running golden for me, and so did the import of my ldif file into my address book. And I agree, KDE (i.e., Plasma) is a beautiful mansion indeed. It may have a wart here or there, but so does any and every OS you can buy and/or use. Being made by man none of them can be perfect. With KMail in Kubuntu 16.04 I couldn't get my fiber optic ISP's IMAP email connected. But when I installed Bionic KMail asked for my email address and password and connected automatically. It's been working perfectly every since.

I used to interface KMail with Google but I dropped Google several years ago. IIRC, it was all set up through Google, but I no longer remember how to do it. Sorry. Maybe Win10 or Mac is a better fit for you?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,

How do you set up 2fa with kmail? I tried it and set it up with Thunderbird in 10 minutes, kmail would not let me do it. If there is a 2fa for kmail please let me know.

My words were perhaps harsh, more out of frustration of getting nowhere for 2 days. As for Win10 or Mac no thanks, been there with Mac, overpriced cheap hardware imo...and Win10 makes me want to throw up in my mouth. LOL

No I am staying with kubuntu, I really love the OS I'll deal with missing out on the beautiful features if I'm too stupid to set them up , it's on me.

Thanks for reading

Comment

I'm 77. I've visited Frustration so many times were are intimate friends.
          I moved to Thunderbird a year ago when KMail would not connect to my fiber optic ISP's IMAP. I tried everything except a hammer and I was tempted to use it. When I installed Bionic I decided to retest KMail to see if it could connect. I entered my email address and password. It hooked up immediately. I was stunned. So far, it is working nicely.

Supposedly, KMail in Bionic supports the native (OAuth) gmail authentication with both IMAP and SMTP. But, the most recent way I found on the web of hooking it up is:
          1. Go to: https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
          2. Chose "Other" and name it somehow e.g. "KMail"
          3. Click Generate
          4. Copy generated password to your KMail as user password (without spaces) and sign in

As I said, I no longer remember how I hooked KMail up to gmail. I canceled my gmail account about 5 years ago after using gmail since it began, when it actually practiced "do no evil".
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,

I gave it the boy scout effort so to say..would have been more fun wrestling with a bear. Got my app password, did the whole log in thing in kmail,... and nothing..Said it went through but of coarse it didn't. Maybe it has something to do with me upgrading to 18.10... dunno.

I'm almost tempted to do fresh install of 18.04.. But that would be a waste of time without nuking my home drive which is on a seperate drive. Because all the fubared config files are in my home folder, and I don't want to go through a full reinstall.

Thanks for reading, and for helping...

Comment

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Google is probably not accepting something that you are doing trying to set up 2fa.
              I can't remember if Gmail had plugins, but you can check ~/.config/kmail2rc in the plugins section and see if Google tried to do anything.

Comment

GreyGeek,

I'm still trying. I just typed a long response that disappeared when I clicked send. Lets try again,

I can now send email but not receive any. The green imap is marked green and says ready. Encryption is set on SSL/TSL, port 993 Authentication gmail.. Is there some kind of setting I need to make to get my mail sent to the KMail app? Or can I just take this as a bug in 18.10 or google being google?

Thanks for reading

Comment

fwiw, I made sure to add a rule in firewall just in case to allow incoming google mail. But it wasn't that anyway, I completely turned off my firewall just to check if that was interfering...it wasn't.

Comment

My ISP uses IMAP (POP3 isn't supplied)
                    I just entered my email address and password and KMail configured my IMAP & SMTP settins automatically.
                    For IMAP it uses
                    STARTTLS
                    Port 143
                    Clear Text

For SMTP it uses
                    TLS
                    Port 587
                    Plain

Comment

Working...
                    X