This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop messed up after upgrade

After doing the upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10 my desktop looked ok, but when I tried to change my wallpaper by clicking on "configure desktop", the "desktop folder settings -- Plasma" window popped up with a message "Layout changes must be applied before other changes can be made". Clicking on "Apply now" seemed to do nothing. When I tried to use system settings to see if I could figure out how to do that, my entire desktop disappeared and was replaced with something completely different. The most problematic part of that is that there is now no panel or menu. I'm still getting the same error message when I try to configure the desktop.

How can I restore my desktop, panel, and update my wallpaper selection?
    Last edited by alpreston; Oct 22, 2018, 03:37 PM. Reason: nomenclature revision

I've managed to add a menu widget along with some of my other app icons to my desktop, but I still don't have the missing panel. and have yet to find a way to restore it.

Comment

Right click on the desktop somewhere, and look for the add panel option, and select "default panel"

Comment

Might have to first do "unlock widgets," then the add panel stuff seems to appear (here on 18.04).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry to take so long to respond. I do now have a panel back, but I still get the same "Layout changes must be applied before other changes can be made" message when I open the "Desktop Settings - Plasma" dialog, and it still won't let me change my wallpaper, mouse actions, or tweaks.

Comment

Working...
          X