This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmic and Virtualbox

Is anyone here testing 18.10 in a Virtualbox VM?
    I just tried to install the official beta and two different daily builds but none work.
    VM settings are "Ubuntu x64", 2GB RAM, 10GB disk.

Both boot all the way to the "Kubuntu 18.10" message and when (I guess?) the graphics mode gets initialized the daily builds change to the picture below and the official beta just stays black with no disk or cpu usage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CosmicDaily.png
Views:	1
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	649387

I am running the latest version of VirtualBox, 5.2.18

Is this when you are trying to run the iso live session, or after you have installed?

Regardless, last time I tested it worked for me.

zsync'ing latest daily to double check.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I don't even get that far...it fails at the very beginning of booting from the ISO.

First I see is this little chart at the very bottom which indicates it's booting from an external device (I think)
      Next the screen turns black and I see "Kubuntu 18.10" for a second or two and then I am stuck with the interference/black screen

Comment

Ah. Turning off 3d acceleration in the VirualBox display settings would be my guess at a fix. That should not be enabled by default when creating a new K/Ubuntu based VM.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Good idea, wasn't set though. I wonder if it's got something to do with my graphics driver as sometimes when the 18.10 message disappears my screen refreshes, all of it not just the VB content...
          But then again my existing VMs work without an issue.
          Switched on 3d acceleration just to try it out but it didn't make a difference...maybe I try Neon next to narrow down the options...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
            Good idea, wasn't set though.
            That is odd, because enabling it in a test boot of a VM, I get a screen identical to what you report.

Name:	e0e02c5561.png
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	644016

Comment

Strange indeed, is this with todays daily build or the regular beta?
              Just tried the current Neon Useredition (18.04) which booted into the DE ok. Let me try Ubuntu 18.10 next...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
                Strange indeed, is this with todays daily build or the regular beta?
                Today's daily.

Comment

What you provided as specs for the VM you created isn't enough information, but however, I suspect that 2GB of RAM isn't sufficient, and likely also, the 10GB for the HDD isn't enough. But, a more likely culprit is the amount of Video memory you specified for the VM, as well as the number of processors. What are those values?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ubuntu 18.10 doesn't work either..hm
                    Shows the same behaviour as our two screenshots.
                    Do you think this is worth reporting? If so what information should I collect?

I also had a look at the VirtualBox logs. Things get stuck after 26 seconds. 2:51 is when I killed the VM

00:00:26.376060 GUI: UIMachineView::sltHandleNotifyChange: Screen=0, Size=800x600

00:00:26.376070 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::handleNotifyChange: Size=800x600

00:00:26.381632 Display::handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=00007f0ce53e6000 w=800 h=600 bpp=32 cbLine=0xC80 flags=0x0

00:00:26.381676 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::NotifyChange: Screen=0, Origin=0x0, Size=800x600, Sending to async-handler

00:00:26.386913 GUI: UIMachineView::sltHandleNotifyChange: Screen=0, Size=800x600

00:00:26.386945 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::handleNotifyChange: Size=800x600

00:00:26.386963 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate:erformResize: Size=800x600, Directly using source bitmap content

00:02:51.960417 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'

00:02:51.966790 AIOMgr: Flush failed with VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER, disabling async flushes

00:02:51.967175 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file '/home/thomas/VirtualBox VMs/Kubuntu/Kubuntu.vdi' (flags 000c0781) created successfully

00:02:52.008283 PDMR3Suspend: 47 795 429 ns run time

00:02:52.008303 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDING' to 'SUSPENDED'

00:02:52.008312 Console: Machine state changed to 'Paused'
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 10, 2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      What you provided as specs for the VM you created isn't enough information, but however, I suspect that 2GB of RAM isn't sufficient, and likely also, the 10GB for the HDD isn't enough. But, a more likely culprit is the amount of Video memory you specified for the VM, as well as the number of processors. What are those values?
                      I went with the VirtualBox defaults for Kubuntu, actually upped the RAM from default 1GB to 2GB, video memory was 16MB. The 10GB for disk felt small but I thought I'd get a warning if not sufficient.
                      Just tried again with 4GB RAM and 32MB and 64MB for video, didn't change things.
                      The VM still gets stuck at 00:00:24.578316 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate:erformResize: Size=800x600, Directly using source bitmap content

Edit: Initially one cpu, for the additional runs I used 2 processors
                      Edit2: The Ubuntu 18.10 image just worked with the new settings...need to play around some more to see if I can get Kubuntu to run as well.
                      Edit3: Kubuntu didn't work with 64MB of video RAM but when I went up to 128MB it went through

Name:	Cosmic.png
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	644017
                      Last edited by Thomas00; Oct 10, 2018, 08:02 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Just finished installing 18.10 (Kubuntu) in a VirtualBox VM. No issues like you described.

I set the VM for 32MB of Video Memory, 4 CPUs, and 4096MB Base Memory. The VM is 75GB, partitioned as 25GB (root) and the rest Home (/home), all ext4.

Name:	18.10VMSettings.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	644018
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It worked ok here with completely stock values:

Memory = 1024MB
                          Video memory=16MB
                          CPU = 1
                          Disk = 10GB

so seems there are no 'magic' values to cover all systems.

Comment

Indeed, but good to know what the parameters to play with are in case of trouble...

Comment

The first time I tried to install Kubuntu 18.10 on Virtual Box it didn't work, so I installed it on Virtual Machine Manager instead, where it works fine. Neon 5.14 works fine on Virtual Box, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X