X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last update made everything slower

Running 18.10 on my desktop and laptop.

One of the things I really notice in a UI is micro-stutter (especially when scrolling in Firefox).

Yesterday, things were running super quick and smooth, and there was minimum micro-stutter in Firefox.

This morning, after performing an update, the micro-stutter is (unfortunately) back.

Install inxi and post the output of
    Code:
    inxi -Fxxxz
    That information may help people help you.

Mine looks like this:
    Code:
    $ inxi -Fxxxz
    System:    Host: dkb-KUBU-CC Kernel: 4.17.0-7-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.0 
             Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.13.4 tk: Qt 5.11.1 wm: kwin_x11 dm: sddm 
             Distro: Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) 
    Machine:   Type: Kvm System: QEMU product: Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996) v: pc-i440fx-bionic 
             serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 1 v: pc-i440fx-bionic serial: <filter> 
             Mobo: N/A model: N/A serial: N/A BIOS: SeaBIOS v: 1.10.2-1ubuntu1 date: 04/01/2014 
    CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Core (Broadwell no TSX IBRS) bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Broadwell 
             rev: 2 L2 cache: 16.0 MiB 
             flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 3984 
             Speed: 1992 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 1992 
    Graphics:  Card-1: Red Hat QXL paravirtual graphic card driver: qxl v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
             chip ID: 1b36:0100 
             Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.0 driver: none unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa compositor: kwin x11 
             resolution: 1280x720~60Hz 
             OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.1.5 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW High Definition Audio vendor: Red Hat QEMU Virtual Machine 
             driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:04.0 chip ID: 8086:2668 
             Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.17.0-7-generic 
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI type: network bridge driver: piix4_smbus v: N/A port: N/A 
             bus ID: 00:01.3 chip ID: 8086:7113 
             Card-2: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139cp v: 1.3 port: c000 
             bus ID: 00:03 chip ID: 10ec:8139 
             IF: ens3 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 20.00 GiB used: 6.47 GiB (32.4%) 
             ID-1: /dev/sda model: QEMU HARDDISK size: 20.00 GiB speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> rev: 2.5+ 
             scheme: MBR 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 19.56 GiB used: 6.47 GiB (33.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
    Sensors:   Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured? 
    Info:      Processes: 135 Uptime: 20m Memory: 3.85 GiB used: 807.1 MiB (20.5%) Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 
             Compilers: gcc: N/A Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 running in: konsole inxi: 3.0.20 
    dkb@dkb-KUBU-CC:~$
    Also, how did you "update"? Was it via Discover, Muon or the command line?

I like using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    followed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    I'm running Kubuntu 18.10 in a VM (qemu/kvm with 4GB RAM and one CPU core) and don't see any adverse effects from today's mega update.

Edit: I'm guessing there'll be a lot more updates coming through in the near term, feature freeze being August 23, now that the Qt issue (whatever that was) has been overcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chimak111; Aug 22, 2018, 04:02 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Before you begin tweaking things or making changes give it some time. Since others are not having the problem you mentioned perhaps it is something related to your particular setup. The devs have, no doubt, more updates coming down the pipe and I suspect that future updates may resolve your problem without you doing anything to your system. Just writing from my past experience.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sorry that my initial post was quite vague and lacking in details, but there's a reason for that - this is a "user experience" issue, and one that can be quite subjective and very difficult to articulate. Here's one way to test for it:
        1. Open Google in Firefox.
        2. Click on the "Images" link.
        3. Perform an image search for something (e.g. "Linux").
        4. Middle-click on a blank space somewhere near the middle of the image results to activate auto-scroll.
        5. Mouse the mouse pointer about 1cm below the auto-scroll circle.
        6. Let go of the mouse to allow the page to scroll downwards slowly.
        7. Observe the page closely as it's scrolling downwards.

For me (on an Core i7-4790 with an AMD RX560 with 4GB of RAM - and also on a laptop with Core i7-6700u and Intel HD 520 iGPU) there is frequent "micro-stutter" (I'm not sure what else to call it - perhaps "judder"?). Prior to my post, this wasn't there (on my desktop and laptop) - it scrolled perfectly smoothly and fluidly.

The title of my post is probably misleading - when I mentioned "things are slower", I mean specifically with scrolling in Firefox on certain pages (the example I've given above it just one example).

I've tried several things to try and get it perfectly smooth again, like setting layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true and using Wayland, but have not had any success.

@chimak111 - I very much doubt running Kubuntu 18.10 in a virtual machine would be a reliable way of testing this particular issue (I'm not even sure if it's possible to get Kubuntu running with hardware acceleration in a VM?).

Scrolling still works, it's just not working are smoothly as it was before I updated. It's by no means unusable, but the "glitches" (micro-stutter) is annoying (it will probably bother some people more than others).

I've also noticed the same "stutter" occurring sometimes with Wobbly Windows enabled.

Comment

FWIW, I'm on bionic (i6700, using its graphics) and the jerky scrolling affects me too. I've no idea if this has changed recently; I rarely scroll slowly. I tried turning off the compositor with alt-shift-f12 but that made it worse, a kind of flashing effect.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

AFAICT, OP didn't explicitly say anything about using VM's. I caused the confusion with my post

I suspect OP is running on bare metal and if that's true it's very brave.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
              AFAICT, OP didn't explicitly say anything about using VM's. I caused the confusion with my post

I suspect OP is running on bare metal and if that's true it's very brave.
              Heh, my fault totally. I read this as the OPs config, I have been working too long today at the screen, nearly 6 hours(!?!), on top of my day job today. So that post is useless, other than the usual "It is A PreRelease So Expect This Sort Of Thing Regularly As Drivers and Kernels Are In Flux As Usual" caveats, with the additional "Spectre and Meltdown Fixes are drastically reducing cpu performance that Intel tried to gag linux benchmark tests results being shown" as being a possible additional culprit.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-...s-new-license/

Comment

Firstly, yes, I'm running on bare metal. I only use VMs for headless (server) Linux.

Secondly, I have found something that makes scrolling perfectly smooth (or as close to perfectly smooth that I've seen on Linux desktop):

Edit ~/.config/kwinrc and under the [Compositing] section add:

Code:
                MaxFPS=75
                RefreshRate=75
                I have also noticed that this is also an issue on Kubuntu 18.04 (so it's not unique to 18.10). Just before I posted my first post in this thread, the issue wasn't there. I have no idea what's causing this issue (the "micro-stutter"), and I have no idea why setting my refresh rate to 75 resolves it (because all my monitors at 60Hz). Could it be possible that the compositor is not picking up the correct refresh rate?

I have used the above settings for quite some time now and have not experienced any side effects or extra battery drain.

Seems very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  FWIW, I'm on bionic (i6700, using its graphics) and the jerky scrolling affects me too. I've no idea if this has changed recently; I rarely scroll slowly. I tried turning off the compositor with alt-shift-f12 but that made it worse, a kind of flashing effect.
                  Thank you for confirming it's not just me (I'm sometimes overly sensitive to such user-experience issues). I have a feeling this is an issue that will effect some more than others, but once you've had "smooth", you really don't want to go back (and scrolling in Firefox is something I do a lot).

Please see my post above - if you could try that out and post back here if it works for you, that would be very useful (I forgot to mention that I needed to log out and log back in again after adding those two lines).

Comment

Originally posted by VanessaDeagan View Post
                    Please see my post above - if you could try that out and post back here if it works for you, that would be very useful.
                    Yes, I've made the changes and firefox scrolling is now smooth. To notice I have to enable smooth scrolling and autoscroll in Preferences.

once you've had "smooth", you really don't want to go back (and scrolling in Firefox is something I do a lot)
                    Well, I prefer fast to smooth. I use a Logitech mouse that I can unhitch the wheel from its detent mechanism and spin it freely; I often flick my finger to spin the wheel and race up or down, like a vertical-only trackball. I'm not sure, but I think with the kwinrc changes my rapid scrolling (I just timed 3,000 lines in 4 seconds in a syntax-coloured gvim window) seems nicer. Sometimes I'm watching for something as the display blurs past, ready to brake the wheel when I see what I'm looking for, and that felt better.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for trying it out - I'm really glad it's not just me. There's definitely an issue with refresh rates in Kwin. I'll file a bug report, but it's difficult to qualify/quantify such an issue (as mentioned before, some people simply don't notice such things).

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      Well, I prefer fast to smooth.
                      They're not mutually exclusive

Comment

Working...
                      X