This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand New SSD

Do I need to make any software changes for my new WD Blue SSD?
    What about running fstrim?
    Is there anything I need to watch out for?

No software changes. Make fstrim a cron job for once a week.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe fstrim is no longer run as a cron job, but as a systemctl job. On my 18.04 machine when I run systemctl status fstrim.timer I get:
      Code:
      randy@hal:/etc$ systemctl status fstrim.timer
      ● fstrim.timer - Discard unused blocks once a week
        Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
        Active: active (waiting) since Thu 2018-10-18 08:19:57 EDT; 14h ago
       Trigger: Mon 2018-10-22 00:00:00 EDT; 3 days left
          Docs: man:fstrim

Oct 18 08:19:57 hal systemd[1]: Started Discard unused blocks once a week.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek.

Is this going to work as /etc/cron.weekly/trim-ssd?
        Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        #this script is applied to SSE drives for sustained long-term performance and wear-leveling

LOG=/var/log/trim.log
        echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
        fstrim --all --verbose >> $LOG

Comment

Thanks whitepine.

Here is what I get --
          Code:
          dean@mx:/etc
          $ systemctl status fstrim.timer
          Failed to get properties: No such interface ''

Comment

In 18.04 the fstrim is carried on weekly by default. I did not add fstrim to cron or sytemctl when I installed 18.04. Nor did I create a script.

When I gave the command systemctl status fstrim.time I get the same result as whitepine.

Comment

Thanks v7peer.

The problem was I ran the command in the host and not VB.

I get the same thing you do now.

Is there a way to make sure this is really working?

Comment

Here is a link to an explanation of the terms in the crontab file BUT, it does not give the correct way to edit the /etc/crontab file. Do not edit that file directly.
                https://hostadvice.com/how-to/how-to...-ubuntu-18-04/

In a Konsole issue
                sudo crontab -e

That will set up a tmp file which, when you save and close the editor, will update a secondary user crontab file. You won't see anything you've added in /etc/crontab. User created crontab files are in /var/spool

https://alvinalexander.com/linux/uni...editor-example

As far is fstrim is concerned, Bionic has a preconfigured systemd timer service active, so you don't need to do anything, unless you want it to do trims more often than once a week. More often than once a week is not advisable for ssd's.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 19, 2018, 12:59 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek.

This whole SSD, trim, and cron thing is a real mess. The more I read and watch, the more confused I get.
                  Even the writers and video makers say it is a confused issue. The advice from a couple of years ago seems invalid now.

I think I will go with if it already works, don't fix it.

Comment

IMO, FWIR, doing a fstrim more than once a week on an ssd eats up the lifetime of the device. Cheaper & poorer quality devices are affected more negatively by frequent fstrim's than better made devices.

First, just reading data from an SSD does not wear it out. Only writing and deleting affect its lifetime. Based on the bits per cell, SLC store just one bit, MLC store two bits and TLC store three bits per cell. A typical MLC can survive 3,000 writes. That doesn't seem like much but those writes are spread across the SSD, i.e., "leveling the wear". Combine that with the reserve cells which are called into service when a cell dies, and you can understand why good quality SSD's are guaranteed for 5 to 10 years. Formuleas for calculating lifetimes of SSD's show hundreds of years!

Here is the calculation for the SSD I have, a Samsung 850 Pro:

I'm 77. My Acer is 6 years old. Both the Acer and the SSD will outlive me even if I live to my dad's age: 94. But, I doubt that the two Toshiba 750Gb HD's will last that long.

Comment

It does appear that one thing Linux distros agree on is a once per week trim. The only question is if it has been enabled automatically and
                      what method was used. whitepine said his 18.04 already was enabled. It looks like my 18.10 in VB is also ready to go. Do you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by k357k9 View Post
                        Thanks whitepine.

Here is what I get --
                        Code:
                        dean@mx:/etc
                        $ systemctl status fstrim.timer
                        Failed to get properties: No such interface ''
                        Oops? Wasn't aware the OS is already setting this up! I guess I better delete the cron job I set up manually...

Comment

Danke Thomass00.
                          I don't think you are the only one.
                          What a mess this whole SSD trim thing is.

Comment

Hallo k357k9 :-)
                            Well, given what we just found out, I'd say things are actually fairly easy. The OS takes care of trim and nothing else needs to be done. I don't know if this is the case for all Linux distributions or not, but now that I know what to look for it's easy to find out.
                            I just ran a systemctl status on my Ubuntu 18.04 server and Trim is active as well.

Case closed :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X