Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrier just updated. Is it safe to update?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Barrier just updated. Is it safe to update?

I just noticed that the awesome dev who maintains the multi-pc KVM software "Barrier" finally released the 2.3.3 version of Barrier. However, when I went looking for the changelog, I can't find it. So I don't know what's updated. So here's my question. In order to fix the stutter problem (mentioned here) I had to roll back some files on my laptop (apparently I didn't need to do that on the desktop) which includes libx11-6, libx11-6:i386, libx11-data, libx11-dev, libx11-doc, libx11-xcb-dev, libx11-xcb1, and libx11-xcb1:i386, and then lock them in place. Now that the new version is out, do I need to leave those locked in place, or can I allow them to update now?

If I can unlock them and allow them to update, I'll update everything to 2.3.3 and update those as well. As long as it's safe to do that without the stutter returning, I'm game. All I need to know is if I can go ahead and do both of those updates, or if I should do just Barrier 2.3.3 and leave the others locked for now. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

Well, going to https://github.com/debauchee/barrier the latest action was 14 days ago: Merge pull request#926 from rbalint/master

Clicking on #926 brings you to https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/pull/926 where you can read the discussion.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My google-search-bot-hat is on:
      https://github.com/debauchee/barrier...ses/tag/v2.3.3

look or ask on the github page's Issues section to see if there are any issues with needing to downgrade or not.
      It seems wrong to do this, to me. The package you downgraded from had a few security fixes involved with it
      it is up to you if this is worth it or not.

Considering that the updated Barrier package is not much over a day old yet, the only way to tell at this point is to be the guinea pig, and allow the system files to be updated, and upgrade Barrier. or wait for someone else who is on 18.04 beat you to it, and report on it somewhere...,.

Or, alternatively, try the snap or flatpak for it, which will have any dependencies included inside it.

Comment

Hmm, okay. Well, as long as I can roll it back (the libs, and barrier), I think I'm okay unlocking the files and giving it a spin. I feel kinda uncomfortable with doing that, at least during work time, but I can definitely try it tomorrow during my time off. I was hoping for a changelog that might give me some clues on how safe it is to update. But, yeah, I guess I can play guinea pig as long as it can be undone if something goes sideways.

Comment

Okay, upgraded everything, power cycle, and I've been testing, and so far no issues. Even the normal things that triggered this, like drag and drop, aren't causing the hangs this time. Of course, that may change, but so far there's no issues, which is good. I'm hoping it stays this way, but we'll find out.

Comment

Well, 3 days in and no issues, so considering this resolved. And I'm not sure if the problem was solved by the guys supporting the libs, or if it was fixed by the Barrier guys, but either way it's fixed. YAY!! I was so worried about that too as I use these two machines for work, so I'm super cautious about any upgrades that might take them down, or cause troubles. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
            X