This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home directory opens Kate

When I try to open the Home directory, I get this message, and Kate opens.

The file 'file:///home/howard' could not be opened: it is not a normal file, it is a folder.

I've been using Kate a lot recently so perhaps I inadvertently made some association with Home. Until this is fixed I can't access my Home directories.

I've be grateful for advice.

Edit
    It's just got worse, Every directory on my desktop opens in Kate,
    Last edited by JoHubb; Oct 07, 2020, 03:27 AM.

Try removing Kate and see if Dolphin works. If so, re-install Kate.

Comment

Originally posted by Iangh View Post
      Try removing Kate and see if Dolphin works. If so, re-install Kate.
      Thanks.

I deleted 'Home' and made a link to Home on the desktop. I reset the Properties so Dolphin is the first preference.

I reset the Properties on each of the directory folders on the desktop the same.

These did not work at the first attempt. I had to reboot and reset several times before the Property preferences 'stuck'.

All very odd. Totally out of the blue. I probably pressed some key combination accidentally whilst I was using Kate.

Comment

When you say that you deleted "Home", what exactly are you talking about? The Home under Places in Dolphin, or something else?
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          When you say that you deleted "Home", what exactly are you talking about? The Home under Places in Dolphin, or something else?
          No, I did not delete 'Home' under Places in Dolphin. There was a copy of Home on my desktop. I cannot remember if I put it there, or if the default install put it there. Anyway, I deleted this.

Then, I dragged the 'Home' directory from Places in Dolphin on to the desktop. It asked if I wanted to copy or link this. I linked it. Right-clicking the icon allowed me to choose Dolphin as my preferred application under Properties.

Everything appears to have returned to normal now.
          Last edited by JoHubb; Oct 08, 2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

That makes sense. Glad it's working now!

I don't leave anything on my desktop. I like to look at the wallpaper much more than some shortcuts. But, that's just me
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
            X