This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade problems

I am trying to upgrade my 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS. I followed the instructions as described on /help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu but nothing happens if I try the Krunner option, no response. If I try the Konsole method it tells me that there are no LTS development versions available. Either way, the Release Upgrade tool is not downloaded and started.

Any ideas ?

You could try a clean install of 20.04.1 LTS. Download the ISO, burn it to a USB device, backup your /home, and install.

That method is reliable especially if your /home is on a separate partition. Either way backup your /home first.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Ubuntu still has not turned on the Bionic to Focal upgrade options yet, which may be a sign it may not be a safe thing to do.

A clean install may be much safer, in this case

However, one can force the upgrade if you want to take the risk

Code:
      sudo do-release-upgrade -d
      of course: caveat emptor

Comment

I agree with Claydoh. Back up your important data and do a clean install. You won't regret it. It will be a lot quicker to move your data to your new install than trying to debug an faulty upgrade.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Exactly. (See #2). We all agree that a clean install works.

It's all I do, and LTS is all I do. And it's simple, especially with / and /home on separate partitions. You specify and format / while specifying and NOT formatting /home. And Step #1 is always backup /home to an external drive.
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I agree with Claydoh. Back up your important data and do a clean install. You won't regret it. It will be a lot quicker to move your data to your new install than trying to debug an faulty upgrade.
            Oh, I am not necessarily advocating fresh vs upgrade, but in this case I have done my due diligence by stating the options and fair warnings

Comment

I will probably have to do a clean install. Over the years I have had some successful upgrades and some which have been disastrous requiring a clean install. The great advantage of upgrading is that all added software is automatically reinstalled but with a clean install it will be weeks before I get things back to normal but there you go, such is technology !

Thanks for the replies,

Comment

I understand your concerns. And, since we all tend to install stuff that may not be reinstalled on a clean install, it does take time to assemble the troops.

At times, it's been weeks before I even think about some piece of software that I had before, and was useful, but not not always used. But, it's never been a solid multiweek effort.

I take notes, do a backup, note any unusual things that others may have run across, and then dive into to a clean install. The pain is over quite quickly. The very biggest task I have is with setting up the printer again. I found that after I installed 20.04.1, there was no properly configured HPLIP available FOR MY PRINTER. Capslock, because others had little to no problems with HPLIP. I found that between a CUPS driverless install and the printer config in System Settings, that I had about 75% of the functionality of an actual HPLIP GUI install. So I'm happy. And now that there is an actual build for my 802.11ac wifi attachment, I'm ecstatic!

Comment

With a decent backup/recovery plan, I just upgrade, with the chance I might have to start over.
                  I have seldom had to start over over the past 6/7 years.

I have my Kubuntu drive in my dead PC, may either see about fixing that, else pull the drive and put it in my less old PC just so I can upgrade to to keep the steak going, lolol!

Comment

I've not done an LTS to LTS upgrade since - oh, maybe 14.04 to 16.04. Any way there was a really big update, QT I think, and the commonly held knowledge was don't upgrade, it'll break stuff, then break the broken stuff again. Yeah, I know, it's supposed to be smoooooth like buttah. My install is not at all complex. It doesn't take much to do a clean install, and then a brief catch up session (install some software, explore themes, etc.).

And I'm done. I know, that doesn't help the ones who have bad issues, but it's been so long that anything has gone wrong - and I'm glad, because the grey matter is retiring faster than I can consume Prevagen

Comment

Working...
                    X