This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird KDE glitch and display reset

Well, this has to be a new one for me as I've never seen this before. Anyhow, for the past couple days my PC has been getting weird menu artifacting, where you'd open a window and it'd display the menu really strangely like it wasn't rendering right. I was even seeing weird rendering issues in LibreOffice and other places. And it wasn't consistent. Usually it was only when you opened a menu for the first time after a program was already open. Then you'd open up the menu again and the problem went away. Well, tonight, for no good reason whatsoever, my display settings completely reset to zero. aka, factory. Now, that wouldn't be so odd if it wasn't for HOW it reset.

1. Everything reset to stock and both monitors were exact, identical clones of each other, mouse pointers and all. Upon some digging in the settings I found the left and right monitors (left is vga/dvi, and the right is HDMI, but the right is treated as default out of the box when the left is the primary) were arranged over top of each other. Once separated, all was fine, save that I'd lost my master/slave configuration I'd put in place once before. That was fixed simply by doing: xrandr --output DVI-0 --primary

2. Upon doing some digging around looking for what in the **** happened, I came across this in an error log:

.xsession-errors:Old primary output: QScreen(0x55819092a7e0, name="DVI-0") New primary output: QScreen(0x7f6b2c008ef0, name="HDMI-0")
    .xsession-errors:new redundant screen QScreen(0x55819092a7e0, name="DVI-0") with primary screen QScreen(0x7f6b2c008ef0, name="HDMI-0")
    .xsession-errors:new redundant screen QScreen(0x5593207957a0, name="DVI-0") with primary screen QScreen(0x7f298c007240, name="HDMI-0")

Everything's back to normal again on my PC, but does anyone have any idea WTH happened!? It's almost like KDE just did a hard reset for no good reason from what I can tell, and it all seemed to be initiated about the same time as I was trying to login to Twitter of all things. So I'm not sure if I did a fat finger key combo that reset it all, or that the timing was simply convenient. I'm not sure what combination I would've hit to trigger that, if anything at all, because I tried recreating my fat fingering afterwards and couldn't replicate it. So yeah, no idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So I guess, in the end, I'm not really trying to fix this (as it's already back to normal) so much as understand what in the blazes happened so I understand better for the future. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.
Working...
X