X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore cookies some differents programs after fresh install

Hi.
    Although I post it in this section, I think it is a doubt for any version of kubuntu, and that after much looking and searching, I can not solve.
    For example, I have chrome, chromium and firefox installed.
    All your folders located.
    I make full backup of your folders, chrome and chromium inside config, firefox, in home with folder called Mozilla.
    I have these backups on two hard drives, one on ntfs and one on ext4.
    Formatting, I do a fresh install, same username, same machine name ...
    I install the programs, chrome, chromium (firefox is already installed) ... I copy the "Default" config folders from both chrome and chromium, I paste them in my home / config / ...
    (I have also tried the entire folder).
    I open the programs, the favorites if they are, the cookies do not.
    I have also tried to copy only the cookie files, origin few kb, the backup file occupies 2 megabytes, I overwrite.
    Same result.
    It is not a problem of "seriousness" but all the instructions I have found on the internet speak of copying that folder. Apparently, windows users work, not me, and I've been like that for a few years now.
    But today, that I did a fresh install, I said to myself: It is time to solve this. I have to log in again in all the places where I was logged in and I would like, not having to do it, restore backup and continue logging where I was logged in.
    I still have the original backup.
    But I can't think of what else to do ...

Thanks in advance!

o.k. couple of questions.

when you installed each browser did you allow them to launch at least once? if not you need to.

did you backup the profile folders before copying the saved profile folders? take chrome go into /home/ your username/.config/google-chrome and either rightclick and rename the default folder to default.bak or you could do like i do and put a series of numbers in front of the name. like this 000000 Default, then and only then do i copy my saved profile folder from the location i have it saved and into /home/your username/.config/google-chrome. see my screenshot.

https://i.imgur.com/2kDAGGn.png
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Grave Digger; Nov 18, 2019, 11:06 AM. Reason: forum keeps playing games with my screenshot. makes it impossible to read.

Comment

Hi,
      Sorry, in your screenshot, I can't view well the names...

My steps:
      Copy all my folder /home/ my username/.config/google-chrome in other hard drive.
      Not rename any folder.
      Made a fresh install.
      Install chrome.
      Start Chrome...deleted Default folder of new installation and copy from my backup the folder Default into my new installation of chrome.
      Others times, not start chrome when I install by first time, copy from my backup (entire folder of chrome) and paste in my home/config folder...

Never work cookies.

Like indicate copy my entire folder of home (of chrome, or chromium...), fresh install, install chrome, copy/paste from my backup source the folders of chrome and chromium into my home/config folder, not rename any...

Thanks!!!

Comment

sorry the forum seems to want to resize the image down to where it's unreadable. just mouse over or click the link for the image. you do not want to backup the google-chrome folder, just the default folder in google-chrome. rather it's chromium, chrome, brave, firefox only save and restore the user profile folder. now one thing with chrome over other chromium based browsers, and that is it does not always like to place nice with your backup. can and will reset itself during sync if you chose the wrong answer on the popup you should get.

Comment

Hi,
          No, mouse over or click in your image, not work...but not problem
          The truth is that I do not understand why backup does not work.
          I must specify, the backup is done manually, I copy my google-chrome user folder and chromium (config / google-chrome or config / chromium) I paste it on my backup hard drive.
          I made fresh install of kubuntu 18.04.3, install chrome and chromium, copy (from the backup hard drive) the folders and paste them in my user / config folder.
          Start chrome or chromium, settings and bookmarks are maintained, cookies are not.
          And now yes, it is something that I would like to solve now, I have to log in all the places again and it is a bit annoying.

I have also tried to remove the chrome and chromium folders from my user folder, open chrome and chromium, create new folders, then, from the backup hard drive, I take only the files referenced with the name of cookies, I paste them in my my user's chrome or chromium folder inside config, exactly the same thing happens, I don't get satisfactory result.

The backup process does not give error, it is a simple copy / paste.

My kubuntu username and computer name is the same as when I did the backup (before formatting) because of the permissions ...

It is something that has me very very intrigued ...

Thanks and regards!!

Comment

AFAIK all cookies are kept in the user's configuration folders under the .config directory(for Chrome) or under the .mozilla directory for Firefox. Anyway, when I do my backups (rsync), I backup all my "dot" files in my /home/<username>, and if I need to do a restore I've not lost anything. I believe FF keeps them in a sql database, but not sure about Chrome. Since cookies are user-dependent files, they should all be in your user directory in /home.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Yes, I backup all my folders (of chrome and chromium) under .config (for chrome and chromium). With mozilla, I don't have this problem, copy/paste from my backup and I have all (bookmarks, cookies...).
              My backups aren't with rsync, are with copy/paste of mouse, but yes, I backup all my "dot" files in my /home/sername...
              Chrome and chromium, in her /config/folder... have a 2 cookies files, copy this files (and also I try with entire folder) but...not, the cookies not work, I need login in all sites...

Thanks!

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but take a look at the file ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/readme

It seems they don't want you to copy/paste user settings.
                Last edited by MissKitty; Nov 18, 2019, 07:04 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

i said mouseover LINK i posted for the image.

Comment

Originally posted by MissKitty View Post
                    I don't know if this helps, but take a look at the file ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/readme

yea as i warned above. personally i'd drop chromium, chrome, and firefox. chromium and chrome for the above reason, and firefox because too many addons still don't work properly with the new extension engine. i'd suggest in order vivaldi, brave, then opera.

Comment

Perhaps rsync would be worth checking into, at least an experiment on a few config files. They are your files!

I do not know if rsync would somehow by-pass whatever logic causes the chrome cookies to not copy, but it's worth a try. I'd even try dd - which is a bit-wise copy.
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Actually, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with any of the mainstream browsers, and most of the derivatives. They each have their reasons for the design direction the developers take.

So, pick the browser that works for you, and if that's Chrome, then you may have to live with not being able to restore cookies. Otherwise, Firefox, Vivaldi, or any other that works for your browsing needs.

Comment

it would appear that the official way to backup you google chrome bookmarks & settings is to sync them to your google account , then restore to the new install/computer from the account .

bla I do not want my passwords saved to the cloud.

rsync may do it ,

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Firefox sync is meant to solve this problem. Maybe you don't like handing your stuff to somebody? I think Mozilla has a better reputation, is on my side, than advertising companies like Google, who necessarily keep in mind the interests of their advertisers.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by MissKitty View Post

I read this readme...a little info, any about cookies ...
                              Originally posted by Grave Digger View Post
                              i said mouseover LINK i posted for the image.
                              Sorry, yes, now I view the link of your imagen.
                              I view your Default rename folder, A doubt, once restored, what do you do with that renowned folder?I've done the test, nothing import from that directory.
                              Originally posted by Grave Digger View Post
                              yea as i warned above. personally i'd drop chromium, chrome, and firefox. chromium and chrome for the above reason, and firefox because too many addons still don't work properly with the new extension engine. i'd suggest in order vivaldi, brave, then opera.
                              With firefox I don't have this problem, fresh install of kubuntu and firefox, I copy/paste only the files of cookies and bookmarks, all ok.
                              I test also with Vivaldi, I have the same problem with cookies, I deduce that, like vivaldi is based in chrome, have the same problem...
                              Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                              Perhaps rsync would be worth checking into, at least an experiment on a few config files. They are your files!

I do not know if rsync would somehow by-pass whatever logic causes the chrome cookies to not copy, but it's worth a try. I'd even try dd - which is a bit-wise copy.
                              I test with all, rsync, dd...etc...the copy its good, with permissions, author (or username of my system)...
                              I think that, the system create some, I don't know what, but when restore my folder, check and view are different (some, I don't know what)...its my only think about this...

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                              Actually, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with any of the mainstream browsers, and most of the derivatives. They each have their reasons for the design direction the developers take.

So, pick the browser that works for you, and if that's Chrome, then you may have to live with not being able to restore cookies. Otherwise, Firefox, Vivaldi, or any other that works for your browsing needs.
                              I use the 3 browsers, chrome, chromium, firefox, sorry, and vivaldi.
                              Only I can restore my cookies in firefox.
                              Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              it would appear that the official way to backup you google chrome bookmarks & settings is to sync them to your google account , then restore to the new install/computer from the account .

bla I do not want my passwords saved to the cloud.

rsync may do it ,

VINNY
                              With rsync, when restore, the cookies files are restored but not "executed"...
                              Yes, like you, I don't like/want have my account in the cloud, I don't like my passwords are in the cloud...for example...
                              Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              Firefox sync is meant to solve this problem. Maybe you don't like handing your stuff to somebody? I think Mozilla has a better reputation, is on my side, than advertising companies like Google, who necessarily keep in mind the interests of their advertisers.
                              Yes, Firefox with any problem, but for me, firefox consume more ram. I have ram but I work with a lot tabs open, when I have a lot tabs open in firefox, I have slowdown...

After more search, I view an extension that its possible solved this, the extension is EditThisCookie, you can export, import the cookies of chrome / chromium.
                              But I don't know if when you made a fresh install, and then import cookies, this work.

One test (before format and fresh install) was:
                              Copy my folder chrome and chromium of config folder of my username.

Deleted this folders.

Launch chrome and chromium, this create new folders in /config.

Copy and paste from my backup into my /config folder.

All fine, bookmarks, cookies...

The problem only is when made a fresh install of system...

Thanks to all!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X