Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I able to install apps from the Discover Software Center from a non-admin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why am I able to install apps from the Discover Software Center from a non-admin?

Why am I able to install apps from the Discover Software Center from a non-admin account? Just recently I installed Kdenlive from my non-admin account from the Discover Software Center. I mean I had to enter my admin password. But I thought non-admin users weren't suppose to be able to install anything at all except updates?

You installed a snap package version, or a flatpak, which is run from the user's account., and not installed systemwide. Discover handles not only normal apt packaging, but also snaps and flatpak.
    Snaps iirc are set to be the 'default' source that takes precedence, but you can set the stock repos to be the main source (and get a terribly old version of Kdenlive as the main choice), or even add flatpak to get the most current version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191113_181043.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	644376

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191113_181623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	644377
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 13, 2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

No I just checked my admin account and its installed there as well.

Comment

The initial user; the one who installed the OS (you); is able to install packages, as you did, when you provide the 'admin' password when prompted (which you were and did). What you describe is 'normal' behavior.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

It might be helpful/useful if you read about User Management as it's used in all Ubuntu variants.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X