This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird 68

Has anyone heard when T-bird 68 will be available in the repos, specifically for 18.04?

I know it's possible to download it from thunderbird.net, but just wondering when an update from the current 60.9 might be built and available for us.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

At this time, v68 is only available for 19.10, not even 19.04.

No hints over here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks for the link! It now appears that there currently is work being done to bring T-bird 68 to all current Ubuntu releases older than 19.10, but no expected date for 18.04. Kind of puzzling, FF is at v70+ for us, but TB is still at v60. I know, they are two different animals, and TB still works fine.

Eh, maybe just wait until Kubuntu 20.04LTS, it's not that far away.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

This may be a clue:

The Thunderbird development team has released two updates for the two supported branches of the email client. Thunderbird 60.9.1 and Thunderbird 68.2.2 are now available; both releases fix issues in the email client but don't introduce new features to it.

Thunderbird is offered in two versions currently. Thunderbird 60.x is the classic version of the email client while Thunderbird 68.x is the new version that is based on new code and as a result not fully compatible with all extensions released previously for the email client

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

+1. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bi...er/023183.html.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Almost wish I hadn't asked. I booted this morning and T-bird 68.2.2 came up with nothing displayed. The .thunderbird file exists, has the new and the old default folders, and has content folders with the default folder with > 0 content indicated for the appropriate previous folders, but the GUI is non-reactive to most menu items and displays nothing.

Comment

I did reboot again, but same result WRT T-bird. I also checked Synaptic and it shows 68.2.1, while T-bird itself shows 68.2.2. Not sure if that's a problem, or just a matter of opinion between the two.

When I get home this evening, I'll save off the .thunderbird directory, uninstall Thunderbird, and then install from Synaptic. I know it shouldn't make a difference - Synaptic and apt are the same and the repo is the repo is ... etc. It just seems like something may have failed in the install.

I have checked with my provider and have the IMAP instructions, but T-bird wasn't even reacting to the menu item to allow replacing the POP info with the IMAP info.

Comment

Just today I got the update for Thunderbird (also on 18.04). My version is 68.2.1 in Thunderbird itself and in Synaptic. But I've a Dutch system, maybe that's a little behind because of translations or so. Just guessing.
                For the first time I had some problems with the update too. After updating Thuderbird didn't start, saying there was no profile (or something like that). But when I started it again it worked. (Without reboot, just restarting Thunderbird).
                But all my extensions were disabled, and some other changes I made were also gone. No big deal, but something didn't work out completely okay with this update.
                Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Nov 27, 2019, 02:45 PM. Reason: Because typo traditions must stay alive...

Comment

Thanks. I think I saw somewhere that the old add-ons will not work with T-bird 68. Also, it requires IMAP be set for each account.

So may it will just be a matter of restarting T-bird when I get home and magic will occur ...

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    ... the old add-ons will not work with T-bird 68...
                    All my add-ons stopped, some at T-bird 60 and the rest at T-bird 68. Fortunately, my favourite, "External Editor" has been revised.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

It's mostly working. I backed up .thunderbird, then deleted it. I uninstalled Thunderbird, then re-installed it, setup the email account, and copied in the Local Folders directory from backup. Upon restarting, all the email showed up, but Lightning calendars did not - although Lightning itself is installed.

Working on it ...

Comment

For me it's working again. But even the extensions that are still working were disabled. And the settings in which you allow a mail to use html were gone.
                        Ah, well, I use Thunderbird from the beginning, and it's the very first time something goes a little wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          Thanks. I think I saw somewhere that the old add-ons will not work with T-bird 68. Also, it requires IMAP be set for each account.

So may it will just be a matter of restarting T-bird when I get home and magic will occur ...
                          Maybe your provider requires IMAP for your accounts. Thunderbird doesn't.

I have the same 3 accounts I've used for years, 2 POP3 and IMAP.

You can read all the release notes for the 68.x.x versions here.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/

Comment

Ended up rebuilding Lightning calendars. It's all good.

Comment

Working...
                            X