This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] LibreOffice 6.3 --- libreoffice-kde5 v/s libreoffice-gtk3

While libreoffice-kde5 makes LibreOffice 6.3 look very nice, Ctrl+Shift+U doesn't work to enter unicode characters whereas with libreoffice-gtk3, Ctrl+Shift+U works.

So using libreoffice-kde5 not only makes LibreOffice integrate in terms of appearance but also makes LibreOffice unresponsive to Ctrl+Shift+U (just the way other qt applications such as Kate, Featherpad, and Konsole don't use Ctrl+Shift+U).
    Kubuntu 20.04

Inserting unicode character in LibreOffice on Kubuntu

I didn't even know this was possible. I always inserted special characters with Insert -> Specical Charcter (I've a Dutch system, so probably some entries in menus etc. will be a bit different named.) That was a very laborous way, because it took sometimes a long time to find the right character.

After your question I looked for a solution, and I think I found one. So I'm really glad you asked this, because it's gonna save me a lot of time!

I also have libreoffice-kde5 installed, and Ctrl+Shift+U didn't work. I don't know how much you know from LibreOffice, so I'll give detailed steps how I solved it.

In my system the shortcut Ctrl+Shfit+U was disabled. To enable it:

Open Extra -> Adjust (it's the entry above 'Settings' or 'Options', third from the bottom of the menu).
    Click on tab Keyboard.
    Scroll to Ctrl+Shift+U and select that.
    Now click in the text entry below 'Functions' and search for 'unicode'.
    Select the entry with 'unicide' in the lower middle column.
    Now click on the upper button on the right with 'adjust' or 'adapt' or whatever it's named.
    Now Ctrl+Shift+U is detached to 'Change to Unicode-notation'.

I don't know how it used to work because I didnt't know it, but it took me some time too find out how it works. So to be complete:

Press Ctrl+Shift+U where you want to insert the character.
    After doing that 'U+006e' appears. The number '0060e' is the Unicode from the character placed right before you pressed Ctrl+Shift+U. (In this case I pressed Ctrl+Shift+U after 'exporteren', the '006e' is the unicode for the 'n' at the end of 'exporteren'. The 'n' itself disappears.)
    To insert the character you want just change the number '006e' to the unicode you want and press Ctrl+Shift+U again.

The thing that took me some time to find out how it works: the character on the place right before where you press Ctrl+Shift+U is translated into unicode, so it looks like it simply disappears. Simply inserting an extra character like a space before pressing Ctrl+Shift+U solves this: now the extra character is transformed into unicode, without changing existing characters.

Tried it with a lot of characters, because this is really funny. Now I can write in Chines, in dominos and in runes!

Comment

Interesting. I'll probably never use it , but it's good to know. :·)
      Now it took me a little time too, because... in the English version of LO, it's Tools, Customize, Keyboard Tab, Toggle Unicode Notation.

Good job.

Comment

Thanks to both of you!

After setting up the toggle, another way is to type the four digits representing the unicode character, select them and then press Ctrl+Shift+U to get the desired result.

I also have my CapsLock set to the compose key for some symbols. The advantage of that is that I can set convenient keys to follow the compose key:

Some entries from my ~/.Xcompose file:

<Multi_key> <t> <m> : "™"
        <Multi_key> <o> <c> : "©"
        <Multi_key> <o> <r> : "®"
        <Multi_key> <g> <t> : "»"
        <Multi_key> <l> <t> : "«"
        <Multi_key> <period> <period> : "…"
        <Multi_key> <period> <space> : "•"
        <Multi_key> <plus> <minus> : "±"
        <Multi_key> <o> <o> : "°"
        <Multi_key> <c> <m> : "✔" U+237B check mark
        <Multi_key> <w> <m> : "✘" U+2718 incorrect mark

(I understand that the last two aren't really international conventions!)
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

You guys might find this exercise interesting and fun like I do. It can be useful, too.
          • Download the latest Unicode data from unicode.org, one way would be
            Code:
            wget https://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/UnicodeData.txt
          • Run it through a script to convert the hexadecimal codes to the actual characters:
            Code:

awk -F';' '$2!~"^<"{printf "%c %s %s\n", strtonum("0x" $1), $1, $2}' < UnicodeData.txt > chars.txt
          • Set your editor to use a font that has a wide set of characters (I find Liberation Mono good, except that kate doesn't like it much for the more esoteric, fun stuff; vim, gedit, and geany do) and look at chars.txt.
            For example:
            🐭 1F42D MOUSE FACE
            😋 1F60B FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD
            😝 1F61D FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES
            😰 1F630 FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT
            🥦 1F966 BROCCOLI
            🥧 1F967 PIE
            🥨 1F968 PRETZEL
            🥩 1F969 CUT OF MEAT
            🥰 1F970 SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES AND THREE HEARTS
            🥳 1F973 FACE WITH PARTY HORN AND PARTY HAT
            🥴 1F974 FACE WITH UNEVEN EYES AND WAVY MOUTH