This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translucency

Hi. I have translucency enable system wide. What I cannot figure out is how to disable this for one specific program. I am unable to find the correct setting in the Special Application Settings from the title bar.

Thanks.

Maybe "Opacity"? On the Appearance & Fixes tab.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Setting both Active & Inactive opacity to Do Not Affect doesn't change anything, even after restarting the program.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTheBike View Post
        ...I cannot figure out is how to disable this for one specific program.
        What program? Also, what Desktop Theme are you using?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The program is MPV media player. The desktop theme is the standard Kubuntu theme.

Comment

Setting both Active & Inactive opacity to Do Not Affect doesn't change anything, even after restarting the program.
            This behavior is the same for any other program I've initiated these settings for.

Comment

try setting that to "force" and leave the % at 100 ...which translates to no transparency

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                try setting that to "force" and leave the % at 100 ...which translates to no transparency

VINNY
                I had actually tried all the possible settings, and that one as well - to no effect. Strange indeed.
                Last edited by JohnTheBike; Sep 15, 2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hi. I have translucency enable system wide.
                  Where is the setting for doing so?
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

System Settings/Workspace/Desktop Behavior/Desktop Effects/Translucency

Comment

System Settings/Workspace/Desktop Behavior/Desktop Effects/Translucency
                      But those settings don't seem to apply to the active window itself?
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

What about those two settings in the Window (top left corner) menu, More actions, Configure special window settings?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sws.png
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	644308

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                          What about those two settings in the Window (top left corner) menu, More actions, Configure special window settings?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8286[/ATTACH]
                          the OP stated that he tried that , he is trying to kill the transparency for 1 program ... I think

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, he tried the "Special Application Settings", so maybe the "Special Window Settings"...
                            I mean, probably not, but you never know... well, I don't anyway :·)

Comment

Hi
                              as a side note, When I was teaching online I used to use the transparency setting as noted a LOT.

I used it to grade papers! :0

I have my "rubric" usually with specific sentences, etc. open in one iteration of LibreOffice Writer from which I can "copy and paste" the "expected answer" in the "lower full opacity" window.

I have the student response in the "upper" window set at, depending, fourty percent transparency so that I can see THROUGH the student response into the rubric.

I can quickly scan the student response and if I need to reply, I can reply "manuallY' the first time, but I then copy that reply into the "rubric" because, usually, if one student got something wrong at least a few more will get it wrong in ALMOST the same manner.

When the next student's paper shows and incorrect response which would, in the Windblows way of doing things, require a labourious open and close, or maximize, minimize or watever or just retyping the response, I just click the rubric sheet, which is slightly offset, copy my response and click the "floating" student sheet and paste.

In that manner I can VERY efficiently give very individualized attention to a student's assignment and return it, digitally, to the student very quickly.

This MAY seem trivial but:
                              a) to the students, getting a reply, sometimes within a few minutes to a submitted paper REALLY is something that they value and also it DOES what all of the educationists talk about at the elementary and secondary levels which is "immediate feedback".
                              b) the college really IS very much into "tracking the response time" of faculty.

now that is IN NOW WAY invading their academic freedom or "telling them what to do". It is a simple function of detecting when an instructor replied to a student query.

Almost all faculty take VERY long times to reply, if ever, all that "sitting and thinking" and "contemplating the large issues of our time" and all that.

The faculty member gets an e-mail at the end of the semester stating something like "your average response time to a student e-mail was ... while the average response time for all faculty was ...

LOL... mine was minutes or hours the the average response times was always in the five day range. lol

And, also, me using a cell phone to respond to a simple question added to that also. lol

BUT anyway... I am almost positive that NO developer of the transparency or the floating Compiz Fusion settings had this in mind, most probably thought it would be a nice "cosmetic" thing.. but anyway...

just thought I'd mention it.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X