This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable Move Here Copy Here context menu in Dolphin

I just did an online search for this exact question and found one answered thread from March 2009 on KDE-Forum.org. So, this question seems to remain unanswered - is it possible to turn this off and just be able to move files into folders without being asked whether I want to copy them or move them? For the life of me this makes no sense

Background: This was really annoying me today as my work involves moving files around a lot. However, I decided I would try to persist with Dolphin rather than just install Thunar on KDE as I've done in the past. Note, I've already deactivated inline renaming, removed everything from the left hand pane except the folder shortcuts and devices and removed the plus and minus icons that appear over the folders

Shift-select will move the file(s) and Ctrl-select copy them.
    Takes a minimum of practice, but if you're copying/moving multiple ones it's almost automatic.

Comment

You could write a bug report and ask for the behavior you want in Dolphin to be configurable.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
        Shift-select will move the file(s) and Ctrl-select copy them.
        Takes a minimum of practice, but if you're copying/moving multiple ones it's almost automatic.
        Ah, that might work. I use various keyboard shortcuts to aid my work and am aware I could definitely use some more for efficiency purposes.

Thanks for the tip.

Judging by this answer and @jglen490's response there isn't actually a current way to change this set-up then? Perhaps the fact that only one other KDE user back in 2009 posed this question means that many users don't consider it a 'bug' or an annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by deanr View Post
          Judging by this answer and @jglen490's response there isn't actually a current way to change this set-up then?
          Yes.
          Perhaps the fact that only one other KDE user back in 2009 posed this question...
          I'm sure the issue has cropped up more often.
          ...means that many users don't consider it a 'bug' or an annoyance.
          I find that hard to believe; I expect that there's a lot of us. Rather, I think it means the developers don't consider it an annoyance, or have other reasons to prefer forcing a choice every time.

IMO the present clumsy dialogue is error-prone, in that it's easy to misplace a click on a small unpredictably placed pop-up. One has to learn to press Ctrl before releasing the mouse button.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Well, if you search with dolphin copy move on bugs.kde.org, you'll see there doesn't seem to be that much of an outcry about it.

Though I agree that people should be allowed to do things they way they prefer, and that it shouldn't be very difficult to implement, personally I never found it to be inconvenient.
            For one thing, I usually select the files in one tab/window and then right-click (if it's just one, I just right-click on it). Which gives me "cut" or copy" options. Then in the other tab, I just "Paste x files". Or folders, whatever.
            To select multiple files, I use Ctrl and/or Shift-click. (Or Ctrl-A). In all cases, I already have my finger on the Ctrl/Shift key, so it's easy.

The most likely error is moving instead of copying. In that case, Ctrl-Z or Edit, Undo Move, fixes it.

Comment

So ,,,,what if you want to just link the dragged and dropped file/files and not move or copy them .

I think the pop up is necessary if you have just dragged and dropped file/files without using one of the modifier keys to clarify what you want to do , if you use the (ctrl or shift or ctrl+shift) you do not get the pop up ...because by using the modifier keys you have clarified the question.

imagine the complaints from people if the system just moved the files on a drag and drop with no clear way of selecting an option (other than first selecting cut or copy)

no , the pop up is nesesary

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

To add to what Vinny said, having the drag/drop default being copy means that the action 'without user intervention' is non-destructive. Imagine if the action were defaulted to move, and you did so to a critical system file.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, there's always Ctrl-Z - the best (and most valuable) shortcut ever invented
                  or the Edit-Undo mouse equivalent.

But of course you have to be aware of it at the time.

Comment

I've never found the current process to be particularly annoying. Most of the time I "copy" rather than "move". That being said, it could be a user configurable option, that would set to "always copy", "always move", or "decide on action (current default)". And could be reset by the user as needed.

But that would be a sell that would have to be made to the devs.
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                    X