Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find a video editor on Discover and Muon ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find a video editor on Discover and Muon ...

I'm looking for a video editor and can't find Avidemux and OpenShot on Discover or Muon .
    I'm pretty sure that on my old system (14.04 ) I installed Avidemux from one of them.

Doe's anyone know why they are not there anymore or recommend something else ?

Avidemux is available as an appimage on fosshub, from their sourceforge page.

Comment

I do not know why you cant find openshot it's in the repo , you may not have the "universe" section enabled and you want the openshot-qt if you enable it .

then their is "kdenlive" also a good vid editor for kde

for Avidemux see http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-18-04/

and theirs blender light table and some more ,,,,, see https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/

VINNY
      Last edited by vinnywright; Aug 18, 2019, 10:51 AM. Reason: posted wrong link
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

In either case, you will want to get these in more recent versions.
        Openshot had a pretty decent update in march, and the version in 18.04 is not current. There is a marked difference in the stability alone, let alone functionality in the latest version.

They have appimages on their site, and they also run a PPA, though this is a version or more behind. The appimage (or flatpak if you enable that in Discover) is the one you want
        https://www.openshot.org/download/kde

If you want to try kdenlive, it may be a gamble. The version in 18.04 may be stable for you - or not. A newer version also may or may not be better. They also provide their own downloads on their website that should contain a set of libraries that in theory should be the most stable, but I always see a crash here and there whenever I try it, from any source.

Comment

I was able to find Open shot on Discovery eventually . I probably typed it wrong before.

I see that Avidemux is not even in the list of the best video editors ...
          I remember that a few years ago it was the most recommended one. Probably a lot has changed since .

Do you happen to know why most of these video editors are not in the official repositories ?
          I can assume that if something is that popular then it will find its way into the official repo, and I'd rather install apps from there because of security reasons
          Last edited by ronshor; Aug 20, 2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Avidemux was removed around 16.04 because it would not compile on Ubuntu for whatever reason, and for quite some time. No one seems to have volunteered to add it back, yet. It is not even in the normal Debian repos, so it probably is not outrageously popular, or they had the same issues building it there. I have used Avidemux off and on over the years, and I think development may have stalled for a little while at some point.
            But boy, has it improved in the UI department!

I just type in 'video editor' in Discover I get a number of choices. Mixed in with other partial keyword matches of course
            But you have to enable flatpak in Discover to see some of them.
            With the advent of these platforms, there is less interest or need for a particular project to try and get packages into each and every distro, especially in the case of these particular tools, which get updated fairly often, with distro repos only being able to provide older versions relative to where the software is currently at any particular point.

Much as I want to love kdenlive, it is way too complicated for my needs, i.e I a m too lazy to learn how to edit video properly
            Openshot is my go to, as it has a bit less of a learning curve. It has some issues, though, like the preview window will bog down many systems unless you set the initial project settings settings to a very low resolution, then save at the desired one. 4k does task a ton of horsepower

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

I did a little research and it seems like the best options for basic video editing are

1.VLC
              2. VidCutter
              3. Avidemux

and for more advanced video editing

1. Olive (even though it's still in alpha people say it's very good )
              2. Kdenlive
              3. Open shot

Comment

Working...
              X