This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set Dolphin to MB instead of Mib?

Set Dolphin to show MB instead of Mib? MiB may be better but I simply don't need it.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

From what I read:

File managers that show base-10 a.k.a Metric units (kB, MB, GB):

Nautilus (GNOME, Unity)
    Caja (MATE; Ubuntu MATE)
    Thunar (Xfce; Xubuntu)
    Nemo (Cinnamon)

File managers that show base-2 a.k.a. IEC units (KiB, MiB, GiB):

Dolphin (KDE; Kubuntu)
    PCManFM (LXDE, LXQt; Lubuntu)
    Double Commander (cross-platform)

As for Dolphin file manager, the KDE development platform allowed its application programs to show file sizes in base-10 or base-2, rather than the file manager itself.
    Such option had been available in KDE Plasma 4, but went missing in KDE Plasma 5.
    It was in the Regional Settings.

Comment

Haha, that's a great answer with a list and all!!! Thank you very much

So can I just install Nemo (Cinnamon) or is there another File Manager that will work, otherwise I'll need to learn to convert those numbers in my head all the time.

I think I'm going to have to install Cinnamon also just for my file transfer work.

Comment

AFAIK, they will all work in KDE. Nautilus I have used, but I'm sure the others will work too.

Not sure why you'd want to switch to Cinnamon "for file transfer" though.
        For one thing, it's not all that good, is it. Compared to KDE...

For another, for file transfer, I find Krusader a very good file manager.
        It's got root mode too.
        It does use Mib though...

Comment

Haha, I don't know if Cinnamon is any better than Kubuntu, but I do like Mint's Cinnamon. I will try to install another file manager so as to keep using Kubuntu. I will also install Mint's Cinnamon as it looks like a good little distro, and the file manager uses MB by default.

Love Kubuntu, but the darn Wallet keeps fouling me up, and no affective answers have been presented to fix it.

Thanks,

Comment

Kwallet? Very messy. Just set the password to [blank] and it disappears.
            I have.

Comment

Or, just turn it off.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried that on my laptop and it did not work, will try something soon on my new install on desktop.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X