Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Need some thumb drive/Dolphin help.

Kubuntu 18.04

I use Dolphin, but unless I start Dolphin first and then plug in the thumb drive it does not show up on the left side of the screen.
    If I start Dolphin and then plug in the thumb drive it does show up.
    Is there a setting somewhere that I can change so the thumb drive does show up when I start Dolphin and the thumb drive has already been plugged in?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 31, 2019, 10:01 AM.
    Greg
    W9WD

I wouldn't know, but I can tell you that if there is, it seems to be the default.
    If I plug in a thumb drive, I get a panel notification. It gives me two actions for it, Dolphin and Gwenview.
    If I ignore it, it doesn't mount it.

If I have Dolphin open and plug it in, I both get the notification and the option to mount it in Dolphin.
    And if it's already plugged in and I open Dolphin, it's in Places whether it's mounted or not.
    Do you see your unmounted partitions in Places? I do.

Comment

No
      I don't get any notification of any kind at all regardless.

Maybe I need to uninstall it and then reinstall it?
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Well, the panel notification have nothing to do with Dolphin...
        Do you have any unmounted drives/partitions that would show up in Places? The left-side panel, in Dolphin?

Comment

If I start Dolphin, then plug in the thumb drive it will show up in "Places"
          If I plug in the thumb drive, then start Dolphin, it does not show up in "Places".
          Either way I get no notifications.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Do you have the first symbol shown below in your taskbar? (looks like the business end of a thumb drive)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-31_14-08-11.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	644266

If so, right click on it to access settings/preferences.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
              If I plug in the thumb drive, then start Dolphin, it does not show up in "Places".
              That doesn't answer the question: "Do you have any unmounted drives/partitions that would show up in Places?"

Either way I get no notifications.
              Well, that's probably a separate problem. You could check in System Setting, Notifications, for that... except I can't find any reference to removable drives there... there is an entry for removable storage, but it doesn't mention notifications... it doesn't seem to be in Widgets either.
              Anyway, it probably would be interesting to know if Dolphin showed unmounted partitions.

[EDIT Oops. I found it. It's in the System tray settings :·) Device Notifier...

Name:	panelset.png
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	644267
              Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 31, 2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

There is nothing else on the computer that should show up.
                Nothing is plugged in that is not listed except the occasional thumb drive.
                Greg
                W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  Do you have the first symbol shown below in your taskbar? (looks like the business end of a thumb drive)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8218[/ATTACH]

If so, right click on it to access settings/preferences.
                  No I don't
                  I do have a wrench and screw driver (crossed) that I can click on to get to settings
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

There is nothing else on the computer that should show up.
                    Nothing is plugged in that is not listed except the occasional thumb drive.
                    Pity, because it would help to explain the behaviour... even though...
                    See, in my Places, unmounted devices have a Click image for larger version

Name:	unm.png
Size:	407 Bytes
ID:	644270 icon. They still show there, whether mounted or not, and whether fixed or removable.
                    And whether I open Dolphin before or after inserting the removables.
                    I left click to mount them (and open them), right-click to unmount them.

Name:	pl2.png
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	644268

Name:	pl1.png
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	644269

About notifications... have you checked the tray settings?
                    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 31, 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

The easiest thing for me to do is just make sure that Dolphin is started before I insert the thumb drive.
                      I just thought there might be an easy fix that I am not aware of.
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

I have sort of a similar problem: when I plug in a thumbdrive, I am notified that it can't be mounted. When I add a second thumbdrive (with the first one still plugged in) it mounts correctly and I can use it. I 'solved' my problem by plugging in an old thumbdrive )I never use to 'activate' the system then insert a thumbdrive I do want to use and everything works fine. But that's a workaround, not a solution.

Comment

No I don't
                          I do have a wrench and screw driver (crossed) that I can click on to get to settings
                          How about if you click on the upwards facing arrow (last ikon in the picture) then click on notifications?
                          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I can get to notifications by clicking my wrench screwdriver icon.
                            I just purged and reinstalled Dolphin and I think it might be working correctly now. Still no notifications though
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

About notifications,
                              maybe you missed my edit?
                              Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                              [EDIT] Oops. I found it. It's in the System tray settings :·) Device Notifier...

Name:	panelset.png
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	644267

Comment

Working...
                              X