X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Deteting file takes a lot of time

Hi

It seems that the right click move to trash is literally moving the files to trash folder instead of changing the file inode. If I use the rm command on the terminal then it works fast (as it should be working) but if I delete the file using the GUI it takes a lot of time and at the end in the notification it shows "Moving files completed". Is there a fix for this??

Thanks in advance.

Both are doing exactly what they were designed to do. There is a "complete remove" GUI option, which I believe shows up in the right click menu. Or you can highlight the file and enter "shift-del" to by-pass the Trashcan.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      Or you can highlight the file and enter "shift-del" to by-pass the Trashcan.
      +1 , just be sure you have delete conformations turned on in "Dolphin>settings>configure dolphin>General>conformations" so you get asked if "this/these" are what you want to permanently delete.

or you may accidentally delete something else that was highlighted .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        Both are doing exactly what they were designed to do.
        I don't think that addresses the OP's issue, which is why the move to trash wasn't just a link and unlink, as would be done by the mv command if the trash folder is on the same file system. I've found trash folders in lots of places in the past.

So, in this case, is the trash folder on the same file system, f. ex. /home, as the file was before it was trashed?
        Regards, John Little

Comment

mohittomar13: Perhaps you've encountered the issue discussed in this AskUbuntu post. You've trashed a file on another file system, and it's been moved to your trash in your home directory.

With KDE plasma the behaviour changed from KDE 4; this was news to me. To get back the rapid move to trash, you can create a .Trash folder at the top level of the relevant file systems, with appropriate permissions. F. ex., I have a file system called iso, mounted on /mnt/iso:
          Code:
          sudo mkdir /mnt/iso/.Trash
          sudo chmod gw+rwt /mnt/iso/.Trash
          Some of my old file systems (on a disc pulled from an old system) have a .Trash-1000 folder instead. With KDE 4 I suspect that dolphin created that automatically, at least some of the time. KDE and dolphin still see a unified trash can.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

@jlittle:

Actually I'm using dual boot with Windows 10 and my Linux Root '/' is 32 GB. As this was small so I moved "/home/mohit/" to a separate partition of size 32 GB.
            (I moved and did not expand the current root because that option was not present and resizing the root was breaking my windows 10 file system.)

What should I do? Should I follow the steps you mention in the previous post?

Thanks .. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mohittomar13 View Post
              What should I do?
              I'm sorry, I'm not sure. I don't know what you did what you did when you 'moved "/home/mohit/" to a separate partition'.

If you haven't got much done on the Linux install, a reinstall, (very carefully!) specifying the right place for / and /home, might be the way forward with the least effort. (I can reinstall in about the time it is taking me to type this reply, mostly because I did a lot of it a few months ago to check something out.)

Otherwise, I wonder where your real /home is. Did you
              • install with / and /home to one partition
              • not enough space, so make another partition
              • move all of /home to the new partition
              • edit /etc/fstab to mount /home on the new partition

The above doesn't sound likely. If it was done while booted into a live USB, it would work, but I imagine something would go wrong if booted into the install and logged in.

If your /home is all ok, and you were trashing something on the / partition, then my post would apply. I've just checked my / and there was no .Trash there; I suppose users aren't supposed to be trashing stuff on /. I created /.Trash, chmod, and dolphin started using it.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Perhaps if we look at this current thread as well as the OP's other thread we can have some more understanding of this problem.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks, everyone, this resolved my issue. I created .Trash directory based on the suggestion from this thread and some googling. Now things are fast. :-)

Is there a way I can like a post? I see the option to report the post if it's inappropriate but not the like button.
                  Last edited by mohittomar13; Jul 08, 2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mohittomar13 View Post
                    Is there a way I can like a post?
                    Well, there's an option to "rate" the thread, but it usually disappears as soon as the thread gets interesting enough to rate :·)

Click image for larger version

Name:	rate.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	644239

To like a post... vBulletin does have the capability, but I think you have to buy the option.
                    Otherwise, you could...

Comment

Alright then...

Comment

Working...
                      X