This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider Choose Another Terminal

I started using pcmanfm-qt as my file manager since I'm able to elevate it and I find the interface easier for me to navigate compared to Krusader (I'm sure that's going to get very different opinions, but this is my use case scenario, "your" mileage may vary). One thing I noticed when I call upon it via Konsole it gives me this message "**Message: 20:14:53:300: x-terminal-emulator has very limited supported, consider choose another terminal" Now, it hasn't prevented me from doing what I usually need to do, but I am kinda curious as to which terminal would fit well with this file manager? I've really only ever used the default terminals on any distro that I use or I use a drop down terminal (Yakuake (which I believe is essentially Konsole) when I'm using a KDE distro or Guake when using a GTK based distro). Which support is actually missing from using Konsole versus a different terminal and which terminal emulator has the most support for pcmanfm-qt, that also fits within the KDE ecosystem?
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

'x-terminal-emulator' is sort of a pointer to whatever terminal emulator one has set as the default. For KDE iusers, it is normally Konsole, but one could be using xterm, or any of a number of different one.
    So, when something calls for a terminal emulator to open, it actually is using the command x-terminal-emulator (try it!), and not konsole, or xterm, or whatever. Pcmanfm does not see x-terminal-emulator as a supported emulator, so it gives a warning.

This is an issue specifically with pcmanfm, and the x-terminal-emulator thing is a Debian specific thing, I believe.

old but relevant bugs:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/bugs/855/
    https://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/bugs/867/

Marked as 'fixed' but no record of what or where, or if it is considered a 'wontfix', or it has returned.

Comment

I've just installed pcmanfm-qt from the repositories and I can't reproduce your problem. Where did you get it from? Ah, doh, I'm on 19.04...

Anyway, in the version I got, 0.14.1, konsole is in the list of supported terminal emulators. The list is in /usr/share/libfm-qt/terminals.list where there is an entry:
      Code:
      [konsole]
      open_arg=-e
      noclose_arg=--noclose -e
      desktop_id=konsole.desktop
      Does your /usr/share/libfm-qt/terminals.list have that entry?
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I booted into my bionic install and installed pcmanfm-qt. Version 0.12 was installed. I got the message you report, even though there is a konsole entry in /usr/share/libfm/terminals.list (and /usr/share/libfm-qt/terminals.list, there's no difference between them).

Even if I changed edit->preferences->advanced->terminal to konsole or xterm, the error message still appears.

Ok, so the message is spurious, a bug in pcmanfm-qt 0.12, fixed in 0.14.1. You could just ignore it, but where's the fun in that ...

I edited /usr/share/libfm/terminals.list (using sudoedit) to clone the konsole entry, giving it the name "x-terminal-emulator", and the message stopped. Note I edited the libfm file, not the libfm-qt one.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          I edited /usr/share/libfm/terminals.list (using sudoedit) to clone the konsole entry, giving it the name "x-terminal-emulator", and the message stopped. Note I edited the libfm file, not the libfm-qt one.
          The entry for this file does already appear here.
          Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Does your /usr/share/libfm-qt/terminals.list have that entry?
          The folder libfm-qt does not exist is the message that I get.
          Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Hmm. I tried installing pcmanfm-qt (on Neon 18.04) and it gives me 68 lines of unmet dependencies

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Hmm. I tried installing pcmanfm-qt (on Neon 18.04) and it gives me 68 lines of unmet dependencies
              It's one of those things (or in this case a dependency) that ends up uninstallable in Neon, due to Neon overlaying a new version of Qt in their repo.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
              X