X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to use 2 versions of same package

Hi.
    I'm new to linux and to this forum. I'm learning to program and for that I use KDevelop. Now the problem I'm facing is that KDevelop uses curl14 and cmake to run. Whereas I also play games using epsxe which uses curl13. Now the problem is that currently i can only run one program. If i want to run epsxe then kdevelp will not work and if i want to run kdevelop then epsxe wont work. Now this isn't a big issue as programming is more important and i can leave epsxe. But then this problem could arise in the future for some other software so I need a solution now itself so that I can tackle that problem too.

What i want is that I can make two separate folders and put curl14 and 13 separately in both, then i can point kdevelop to point to one folder and epsxe to other. Is there a way to achieve this? There can be some other solution to this as the one i have mentioned is just a hypothesis.

Please help.

Please excuse my English as English is not my first language.

You need to have epsxe fix their stuff, methinks

aaaand looking at their forum I see this
    https://www.ngemu.com/threads/ubuntu...-found.204577/
    which leads one here
    https://github.com/brandleesee/ePSXe64Ubuntu
    libcurl 3 & libcurl 4 now co-exist enabling software like Kodi etc to work simultaneously with ePSXe
    The latest installer script has been updated to allow this, in a hacky sort of way as opposed to convincing the emulator's developers to have a new build that will work in a modern distro. I would figure that simply creating a symlink to the current libcurl library would be the easiest and more common method to fix this, but epsxe is closed source, after all....

Comment

I have worked around problems like this using LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD, but that approach can get tangled up with webs of dependencies. A post at ngemu that claydoh linked to gives details:
      A work-around would be to extract libcurl.so.4.5.0 (from libcurl3_7.58.0-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb) into the same folder as epsxe_x64, sym-link or rename it to libcurl.so.4, then run epsxe from a terminal with command:
      Code:
      LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./epsxe_x64
      If the epsxe executable is not a good place to put the library, it could go somewhere else, so long as LD_LIBRARY_PATH points there. If you don't want to run epsxe from a terminal you can edit the menu item (right-click the K menu, Edit Applications, find the item, and edit the command.)

A more general solution, designed to do this sort of thing, would be a "container", f.ex. docker, but unless you can find a docker already set up for your application it might be a long learning process.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

The second link goes to a custom installer script ,that also grabs the library file, and manually puts it somewhere (not installed to the system), then points the emulator to that libcurl .

Comment

epsxe on linux has always been horrible since its not open source and they don't seam to release updated linux builds to keep up w/ lib changes.There are several other emulators that are open source you should consider using one of them pcsxr is pretty nice. If your really need epsxe try running the windows version of epsxe via wine.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your replies..

This is one of the major reason I love linux and linux community. There is a solution to all problems in linux.
            Thanks for your suggestions, I will try the solutions given and will get back to you in case if I need any more help.. :-) :-)

Comment

Working...
            X