This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Home Icon brings up VLC player

Since my last update today, the machine has gone a bit crazy.

Most importantly I have lost some work I was keeping in a Vault. If I try to open Vault, it starts the VLC player!

When I click on the Home icon it tries to start VLC player. The player doesn't start but begins to look for something, cycling endlessly through directories.

I'd be grateful for advice.

I uninstalled VLC media player. The machine returned to normal. When I clicked on Home, the folders showed as per usual. I was able to access Vaults and open files.

Then I reinstalled VLC media from Muon. The original problem is back!

Advice, please.

Comment

Check your file associations.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

File associations seem fine to me. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

A right click on a blank area of desktop brings up a menu.

One up from the bottom is 'Open with VLC player'. I've not been able to change this using the configuration routine which is very basic.

On another Kubuntu machine which is running properly, the entry above is 'Open with Dolphin'.

How to change the Open with VLC to Open with Dolphin?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
            A right click on a blank area of desktop brings up a menu.

One up from the bottom is 'Open with VLC player'. I've not been able to change this using the configuration routine which is very basic.

On another Kubuntu machine which is running properly, the entry above is 'Open with Dolphin'.

How to change the Open with VLC to Open with Dolphin?

Thanks!
            Look at file associations in System Settings, and search for "directory", it will be under 'inode'. Move Dolphin to the top, and apply.

Comment

Happy Days! Back to normal.

But how did this happen? Did this morning's update have anything to do with it? I certainly never messed with that setting - I didn't know it was there.

Many thanks to both.

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
                Happy Days! Back to normal.

But how did this happen? Did this morning's update have anything to do with it? I certainly never messed with that setting - I didn't know it was there.

Many thanks to both.
                No idea, though it likely is from VLC maybe as installing that, or an update to it might do that, if mis-configured. Is VLC from the stock repos, or from a different source (ppa, directly downloiaded deb file)?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  No idea, though it likely is from VLC maybe as installing that, or an update to it might do that, if mis-configured. Is VLC from the stock repos, or from a different source (ppa, directly downloiaded deb file)?
                  I installed it from the terminal ages ago. Everything was fine yesterday. It was only after a full-upgrade this morning that everything went pear-shaped. Could have been a coincidence of course.

Anyways, up and running again. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X