This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted files keep returning

On my wifes computer running Kubuntu 18.04 she keeps having issues of files that have been deleted returning. She will delete a file in Dolphin and it will move the file to trash. But some time later the file will reappear back in the same folder where it was before. If she deletes it again, Dolphin will rename the file in the trash folder with a number after it. But the next day or so the file will be back in the previous folder again. She has deleted some files 3-4 times and they keep copying themselves back into the folder they were deleted from. Any ideas?

I always just shift+delete when I'm getting rid of files. Bypasses the trash. Haven't had any come back yet.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
      On my wifes computer running Kubuntu 18.04 she keeps having issues of files that have been deleted returning. She will delete a file in Dolphin and it will move the file to trash. But some time later the file will reappear back in the same folder where it was before. If she deletes it again, Dolphin will rename the file in the trash folder with a number after it. But the next day or so the file will be back in the previous folder again. She has deleted some files 3-4 times and they keep copying themselves back into the folder they were deleted from. Any ideas?
      That is weird! I've never seen that happen and not sure what the process could even be. Restoration of a file from Trash is possible and there is an actual option to do that in the Trash app. You can either completely bypass the trashcan, if you want and as WWDERW suggested, or just open the trashcan icon aevery couple of days and permanently eliminate one or many of the files in there.

Beyond that, I have no clue unless a backup keeps being restored - some sort of restoration from Timeshift.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Interesting thought about the backup being restored. I use Lucky backup. I'll have to check how I have that setup. Maybe I have something setup to Sync. I've been using Linux 10+/- years. Never seen anything like this either.

Comment

Drop box, or a service like that?
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            Not sure what you are responding to. But Lucky Backup is a program in the repos. It can be scheduled to backup to local physical drives.

No updates yet. I turned off lucky backup to test the system but my wife hasn't had a chance to go back and delete the files again.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle
              Originally posted by Fargo View Post
              Not sure what you are responding to...
              If one installs drop box, you can configure it to sync a directory to drop box on all your computers. If it notices that one computer doesn't have a file, it might automatically download it. I haven't used it for years, I don't know if there's still a Linux client.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                I don't know if there's still a Linux client.
                Yes, there is. I use it because I still have ext4.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

What file is it, in what directory ?
                  Configuration files in your home directory are generated every time you log in or every time a service runs, so if you delete such a file, it is normal that it re-appears
                  Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                  linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                  A good place to start:
                  Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Working...
                  X