This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift v won't give a capital v

Shift+v won't give a capital v. This is true in any program, Firefox, LibreOfffice, a terminal. It will work if I use the Caps Lock key. It only seems to be for "v".
    The solutions I've seen seem pretty involved and look like global solutions for multiple capitalization problems.

First try connecting another keyboard. I use an external USB keyboard on my laptops and desktops, just in case.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

New post below. I deleted the old post. The problem isn't solved.
      Last edited by lcharles; May 26, 2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Did you, by chance, drink the magic juice (only available for Linux users)? Don't tell anyone else about it!
        Glad the problem is resolved, but the cause remains a mystery...
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Actually it isn't solved. There isn't a problem with the v in Windows or Mint. So it isn't a hardware problem. I thought the problem was solved when I was in the OS and the cap v worked. But when I booted back into Kubuntu 18.04 the problem was still there.

Comment

I'm running Kubuntu 19.04 and don't see any keyboard problem.
            I have Mint on another laptop, also no problem with keyboard case switching.
            I wonder if there is a keycode map set differently on your system?
            Another possibility is that your particular keyboard layout is not set correctly. Check System Settings>Input Devices>Keyboard>Layout

Comment

I suspect you've got a "Shortcut" set to shift-v, in system settings->Shortcuts. Make the system settings window really wide to see all the keys, there's a "Global Alternate" column. There's global, and standard; I don't know the difference. Under custom shortcuts to see if you have a keyboard shortcut you have to select each item with a tick and click the trigger tab; I just found some stuff I didn't know I had.

You might try adding another user, and log in as that user, to see if that user has a problem.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I didn't see any shortcuts set to shift-v, maybe I don't know where to look. I installed "screenkey". It shows an upper case v when I do "Shift+v". I added another user and there is no problem there. I can get a lower and upper case v.

Comment

Since the problem does not exist for a new user when I create one, can I copy some file from the new user to my standard user to fix the problem? I cannot understand from what I have read how to to reassign a upper case v to 'Shift+v".

Comment

Have you tried adding a keyboard layout in System settings/Input devices and using that?
                    Like, say, Australian English? Or English - Cameroon? Not a joke, it's there. ;·)

Comment

Working...
                    X