This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Kmail?

I've been a Thunderbird user for a long, long, long time. However, Kmail seems to have gotten better and I have it on a KDE Neon install (still run Thunderbird on my main production rig which is running this release) and I really like the seamless nature of Kontact with Kmail, but there was a couple of things that I was wondering about. I tried looking first in the WIKI, but I didn't find any direct info, so I thought I would try here.

2 things that I really liked about Thunderbird is that it's really easy to migrate info from one computer (or install) to another and it's archiving ability.

With regard to migration, just really copy what's in the .thunderbird folder and it's all there. Nothing else. It seems like there is an importer/exporter program for Kmail, is it as seamless as how it goes in Thunderbird? Any little quirks or nuances that I should be aware of to do or prep for?

For the archiving function, I like how attachments of emails are still "live". I can still pull them out the archive in Thunderbird. I've tried doing some sample archives and they only seem to be txt file based and it doesn't retain attachments. Is there anyway to change that and especially keep the attachments as "live" to pull from them if necessary?

The other thing with the archiver, it seems like I can only send the archive to the home directory and I haven't found a way to change that. Is there a way or do I have to wait until it archives and then relocate it? I would prefer to archive it on the NAS from the get go if that's possible.

Thanks for the help.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Unless you have a use case for kmail, stick with thunderbird - it is a great email client. It's been many Kubuntu versions since I used the whole KDE PIM thing and I don't miss it.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

It wasn't so much of a set use case.

It seemed to have improved (atleast the issues that I had with it early on) and I liked how it fit the overall aesthetic of the KDE environment, but certainly not when it trumps functionality and/or stability.

Doesn't hurt to still have it on the Neon install as that's on a computer that isn't integral to overall production work, so I can afford to be a little bit more adventurous with testing things.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I'll second the recommendation to stick with Thunderbird as an email client. I've been using it, satisfactorily, for years. I do have KMail configured and available as backup, but haven't needed to use it.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I'll be the one that sticks up for Kmail, or rather Kontact as a whole.
          Give it some time to see what you prefer. I prefer Kontact myself. Actually, to be fully honest, I do prefer non-local email access these days. And I am NOT talking about Gmail or Outlook. I am too lazy to bother with setting up and keeping the UI and settings consistent between 4 to 6 devices and multiple locations. And Os's of course.

I used Kontact for about 14 years, as well as Tbird as a portable app for a few years as well. I liked Kontact's feature set. And Tbird's lack of them, oddly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Actually, to be fully honest, I do prefer non-local email access these days. And I am NOT talking about Gmail or Outlook.
            I use IMAP instead of POP3, so it isn't technically local access (if that's the type of local v. non-local access that you are referring to). I don't like web interfaces at all. Much prefer apps on the machine. Traditionally installed or portable doesn't bother me much in that regard.

After so long I like to archive, but I still want to be able to pull the attachments like they were in the original email. Thunderbird's archiving allowed for that. I haven't been able to find that with Kmail, at least it isn't very user discoverable if it is there or it's not listed in the WIKI. I was hoping maybe someone on here had a work around.

Between the archiving ability and the ability to easily import/export settings from different installs, were the main things that I wanted. More techie advanced features etc, I'm not at that point. So I don't know what I'm missing or not missing in that regard.

Those are the 2 biggest needs that I have with an email client. Easily able to move settings from install to install and being able to retain "live" email attachments when archiving. By "live" I mean, if I'm giving a raster file, in the zip archive, I still have the raster file that I can pull exactly as is. The test archive that I did, didn't allow for that, it was plain text only, but I was checking to me sure if there was another way to do it. Maybe via an extension/plugin etc.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I am too lazy to bother with setting up and keeping the UI and settings consistent between 4 to 6 devices and multiple locations. And Os's of course.
            I very rarely have all my computers setup the same way, even though they all use KDE. Some I have looking like Windows, some are a funky setup that I have that won't make much sense to anyone else. I just like a little more consistency with the theming and colors among the apps. I've noticed that GTK based apps don't quite look like QT apps. Some things I'm not going to be able to swap from GTK based (like Inkscape, can't replace that with Karbon). That's really my only concern with aesthetics.

Comment

Actually, I use both a client and web-based mail view. I use the client to pull my email from the server to my PC. I also know that what gets "Deleted" from the web inbox just goes to the trash box. When I do a backup on my local machine, the email that is there has been reviewed, culled (or saved), and the trash can be emptied from the server. I can also see what has been detected as "spam" by the server. 99% of the time, the server is correct, but every once in a while I need to retrieve and at least view before final deletion. Maybe that sounds complex, but it's actually an organization method that works very well for me. I can see what email I've gotten while at work. Once in a while something needs an immediate response - I do have a life beyond the paycheck!

I like T'bird and it's addon Lightning, because of the simplicity. I can organize what I want to save in the way that I want to save it. I can setup calendar notices the way I want them setup and with the popups the way I want them. KDE PIM will do the same, but T'bird does NOT have that annoying resource hog, akonadi.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Actually, I use both a client and web-based mail view. I use the client to pull my email from the server to my PC. I also know that what gets "Deleted" from the web inbox just goes to the trash box. When I do a backup on my local machine, the email that is there has been reviewed, culled (or saved), and the trash can be emptied from the server.
                I do the same thing, but I just don't go through the browser at all. Partly, because I don't like the interface that is used from the server. That wasn't always the case, but they deprecated and removed the one interface (had an option of 3) that I actually liked and could muddle through years ago. Not the case anymore.

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                I like T'bird and it's addon Lightning, because of the simplicity. I can organize what I want to save in the way that I want to save it. I can setup calendar notices the way I want them setup and with the popups the way I want them. KDE PIM will do the same, but T'bird does NOT have that annoying resource hog, akonadi.
                I used to use Lightening and liked it when it worked. For my calendar stuff, I use a plasmoid on my desktop that I have rather taken a liking to. Like it much better then Lightening.

Comment

Hi
                  I'll risk boring the old timers here but I have fiddled with Kontact for YEARS and it is always "a problem" I use Yahoo for a throwaway account and Yahoo decided to not work with local clients. Gmail for "serious stuff" and Gmail is always fiddleing with SOMETHING to where Kontact won't work with it. I use an IMAP for the college's mail and it worked ON AND OFF depending on the whims of Microsith.

However, the IMAP account for the college is now working because the college has moved everything to MS cloud and once that is set up it works.

But, then it is the planner, or then it is the calendar or then it is something else... so I just gave up.

HOWEVER...lately that has been on Neon Testing, which I EXPECTED to have the latest and greatest "workarounds / whatever" but it does not and also an older Kubu Install so...

SIGH...I have now installed Cosmic and will check out Kontact on it...

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I have several email accounts, some very private, which require online access. I prefer to keep my email on my local machine but some of the more privacy conscious mail providers do not allow access from a local mail client. So I have both types of account. I've kept Kmail installed in case Thunderbird goes south on us.

Thunderbird has been satisfactory as my local mail client, particularly since they distanced themselves from Mozilla.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      >>>>>

Thunderbird has been satisfactory as my local mail client, particularly since they distanced themselves from Mozilla.
                      Mozilla has brought Thunderbird back in-house in an announcement on May 9, 2017, and continues to support its development.[19][20] The Thunderbird development team has also expanded by adding several new members and has undergone an overhaul on security and user-interface.[21]
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I can live with the present situation between Mozilla and Thunderbird.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                          I can live with the present situation between Mozilla and Thunderbird.
                          I've been using Thunderbird for years, before that it was Eudora(Is that still a thing?)
                          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                          X