Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEMU/KVM/virt-manager - How To Backup Virtual Machine QCOW2 File?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] QEMU/KVM/virt-manager - How To Backup Virtual Machine QCOW2 File?

Hi,

I just got into QEMU/KVM/virt-manager on my up to date Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 64Bit Linux.
    I've got everything working in the new Windows 10 guest virtual machine.

I've been trying for several hours to backup the new QCOW2 virtual machine disk image file.
    Googled here and there but nothing seems to be working?
    The location of the QCOW2 VM disk image file is: "/var/lib/libvirt/images" ,
    but when I try to open the above location in Dolphin file manager I get: "Could not enter folder /var/lib/libvirt/images."??

I can invoke: "sudo -i" in terminal and then navigate to directory: "/var/lib/libvirt/images" just fine.
    Not sure how to do the backup successfully though - I need the Win 10 virtual machine to load on different computers running same Kubuntu.

Backup of QCOW2 VM disk image file has been trouble.
    (coming from VirtualBox which was much more user friendly)

Any help would be appreciated in backing up the QEMU/KVM/virt-manager Windows 10 virtual machine...

Thanks!

Jesse

Hi,

I used "Krusader" file manager in root to copy the QCOW2 VM image file to another desktop computer.
    Imported the file into virt-manager on a different desktop computer and it worked fine.
    Marked as solved.

Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
      Hi,

I used "Krusader" file manager in root to copy the QCOW2 VM image file to another desktop computer.
      Imported the file into virt-manager on a different desktop computer and it worked fine.
      Marked as solved.

Jesse
      Glad you solved it. Out of curiosity, when you right click the VM in virt-manager do you not have a 'clone' option?

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
        Glad you solved it. Out of curiosity, when you right click the VM in virt-manager do you not have a 'clone' option?
        I tried "clone" but it fails? (VM is 100GB)

Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
          I tried "clone" but it fails? (VM is 100GB)

Jesse
          Wonder why it failed? Any idea? I've created a number of clones and haven't had that issue. When you right click the VM and click clone, you then need to click 'Clone this disk' and then click 'Details' and choose a path with enough space for the clone. It has really worked well for me.
          Last edited by wartnose; Apr 22, 2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X