X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baloo crashes when I save a file after boot

Hello everyone
    I have been using Kubuntu for 4 months now. It has been a very smooth transition except for one minor bug. Every time I save a file after booting up my pc I get a message that Baloo crashed. This happens every single time. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

In the past, Baloo was such a resource hog, particularly on initial installation of the OS, that some of us disabled it:

https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

This remains an option unless you cannot live without the local file search utility.

The heavy resource usage may have been "fixed" in later versions of Baloo, but you may want to test your system by disabling Baloo yourself. Do read about the various configuration options in this link, they may contain a solution for your crash problem.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply to me. I have followed your instruction and disabled Baloo. I was wondering if backport PPA gets updates for bugs like this. Well, I could try and add backport PPA but on the PPA page it was written as not supported which kinda scared me. Anyway, thanks again. Have a great day.

Comment

Which distro version are you using?

I believe Baloo was part of the normal set of distribution files. If you obtained it from a PPA (Personal Package Archive) then you may not have the standard version of the utility.

I'm using Kubuntu 19.04 - Disco Dingo. That is the newly released distro. Baloo does not appear to be part of this distribution. I don't miss having it. I DO still have file search capability.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The baloo index is corrupt, and is crashing baloo. It happened to me on 18.04. I suggest clearing it. Check if baloo is running with balooctl status. If it's running, stop it with balooctl stop;balooctl disable. Then
          Code:
          $ rm ~/.local/share/baloo/index*
          I suggest enabling baloo but turning off indexing file content; system settings, workspace, search, file search.

Maybe it works but the file extractor generates an enormous index on my system and there's no way to find out what files it is indexing. In the past the file extractor has behaved badly (using excessive CPU and memory) and I've had to kill it while experimenting with it just now; it didn't stop when baloo was told to stop.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
            I'm using Kubuntu 19.04 - Disco Dingo. That is the newly released distro. Baloo does not appear to be part of this distribution. I don't miss having it. I DO still have file search capability.
            What do you see with which balooctl on Kubuntu 19.04?
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              I suggest enabling baloo but turning off indexing file content … .

Maybe it works but the file extractor generates an enormous index on my system … .
              I keep indexing of file content enabled but I severely restrict the file types and folders indexed:
              So I exclude
              images
              media
              .iso
              .deb
              AppImages

I additionally exclude my ~/Desktop and ~/Download folders.

Currently, my index is 193 MiB.

Despite my best intentions, baloo crashes about once in two months. I then delete the database, essentially following the steps jlittle mentioned, and start over.

I understand that baloo is much improved in later versions of Kubuntu!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Personally, I would not use Baloo. Uninstall/purge it if it's installed. Install Recoll (https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/) instead. Light and extremely fast once the initial indexing is done. Highly configurable as to what to index. And it indexes not just the names of files but their contents as well. Recoll is, IMO, probably one of the very best indexing utilities ever written. I use it.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, you can set recoll to only index when you want it to. Though with my brief look at it, I think it does depend on the file's suffix contrary to the feeling that "linux" doesn't need file suffixes.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                    What do you see with which balooctl on Kubuntu 19.04?
                    It is installed:
                    Baloo File Indexer is running
                    Indexer state: Idle
                    Indexed 8517 / 8517 files
                    Current size of index is 7.31 MiB
                    The default configuration has been set (not by me) to avoid the previous problem of attempting to index too many files. This is a good thing. I can live with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X