X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh 18.04.2 Install - No Audio?

Hi,

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 64Bit
    onto a desktop which ran Kubuntu 18.04.0 fine.

I have no audio on Kubuntu 18.04.2?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Jesse

I don't use HDMI, only stereo headphones with microphone

Code:
    jlp@SuperFastDesktop:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Audio
    00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1043:8436]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    --
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [1458:36bc]
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
    jlp@SuperFastDesktop:~$
    Last edited by JeZ-l-Lee; Feb 24, 2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I dunno, probably check the usual things, like seeing if it has become muted in alsamixer? What does it show in System Settings?
      Your info above is saying that an intel sound card is in use.

FWIW, this is the reason why the HWE stack as included in new installs from .02 ISOs of LTS releases are NOT enabled for all users by default.
      Also, if one has *buntu installed already, you can easily add this newer kernels and xorg without needing to reinstall the entire OS. Two packages is all it takes, and you have the ability to boot the previous non HWE kernel if there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
        I don't use HDMI, only stereo headphones with microphone

Code:
        jlp@SuperFastDesktop:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Audio
        00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
          Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1043:8436]
        --
        01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)
          Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [1458:36bc]
          Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
        jlp@SuperFastDesktop:~$
        I usually have problems with pulse audio selecting the Nvidia HDA for the HDMI output.
        I always install the pavucontrol package then go to the configuration Tab , HDA nvidia and profile and select OFF from the drop down list.
        I then go to System Settings Multimedia where you can test the sound, set the volume and more.

Comment

Working...
        X