This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a quickstart Icon on the panel?

Here's what I want to do (not sure I even called this the right thing)

I want to make a quickstart icon on the panel...a widget...just like the firefox icon.
    I want it to start a different version of Firefox than is installed (version 64.9) which I have downloaded in to a folder whose address is /home/greg/FF TAR/firefox
    If I click the Firefox bin file in that folder it will start 64.9 just fine
    However if I just click the regular FF icon on the panel it starts FF62 (I've tried to change the settings in the icon with no success.

What I would really like is to change the settings in the FF icon so it just starts 64.9

I thought I had done this once before but now I can't find my notes.
    Is there software that will make start icons for you?

Help?
    Greg
    W9WD

Well, a simple way is to launch 64.9 and with it running, right-click it's icon on the Panel and elect to Pin it (or such) so it is on the Panel even after you shut it down.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It put an icon on the panel and it stayed there but it would not restart FF once I had quit
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

I guess what I am actually trying to do is bookmark a file
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

One way is to find a firefox.desktop file, make a copy, edit it, then use dolphin to drag it to the panel.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I'll give that a whirl in the morning
            Thanks for that
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

One way is to be in the "classic" version of the "application launcher" and just make a menu item for it in the "classic" application launcher.

You will need the full path for it, just copy and paste it into the "work path" for the properties...and save it...

and then right click on the launcher and choose the option to "add to panel".

I don't know if it will provide the appropriate icon but that can be done showing the launcher properties with right click, and click the "button" on the top left and choose from the offered icons, there is one for Firefox.

You "might" actually edit it with "icon editor" or maybe just put a "semitransparent color wash" on it with GIMP and resave it with a unique name.

done as done.

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 21, 2019, 11:27 PM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I tried the suggest of jlittle and it worked (after I got the exact name and location straight in my head) just right.
                I was even able to click on what they had as an icon and it let me choose another icon. I chose the FF icon.
                So now I am running FF 64.9 with a simple click.

The only thing I need to do now is figure out how to make FF stop asking me if I want to update to FF 66.

Thanks for the help guys.
                Greg
                W9WD

Comment

Here's how I was able to upgrade and run FF 64.2 without actually upgrading...

I downloaded the Tar file for 64.2.
                  I made a directory called FF Tar2.
                  I extracted the contents of the tar file in that directory.
                  I figured out that if I clicked on firefox-bin it would start FF
                  Moved that directory over to "Home"
                  I made a copy of firefox-bin and put it on the desktop.
                  Then I moved that copy to the quick start panel.
                  By right clicking on that copy I could see the (not FF) icon it was using and it let me pick a new icon and I chose the FF orange ball.

Everything works fine now.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Working...
                  X