X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How upgrade to Kunutu 18.04.2?

Hi,
    I using with a fresh install kubuntu 18.04, I view are released 18.04.2, I search for how upgrade to this version but I don't view how.
    Its possible upgrade to 18.04.2?
    (Sorry for my question...).

Thanks and regards.

If I'm not mistaken once have done all updates to your install of 18.04, you will have updated to 18.04.2.
    After a fresh install, the first thing I do is download and install the available updates.
    They release new ISO's periodically that have the updates to the original release (18.04.2).
    Use the package manager of your choice to download and install the available updates and you will have 18.04.2.

Comment

You don't, as you are already at this by updating.
      HOWEVER, if you want the HWE stack for newer kernels and xorg, you have to install the packages linux-generic-hwe-18.04 and xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

These are not installed by default in 18.04.0 and .1 or anyone who has upgraded from previous versions as not everyone wants or needs a constantly updated kernel and driver stack. As per usual, anyone who does a clean install of 18.04.2 and later will have the hwe stack by default.

Comment

Originally posted by jberkpc View Post
        If I'm not mistaken once have done all updates to your install of 18.04, you will have updated to 18.04.2.
        After a fresh install, the first thing I do is download and install the available updates.
        They release new ISO's periodically that have the updates to the original release (18.04.2).
        Use the package manager of your choice to download and install the available updates and you will have 18.04.2.
        Hi,
        Yes, I know this, but for example, My doubt resides exactly in what claydoh says just in his answer, new versions of kernel and possible new version of KDE.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        You don't, as you are already at this by updating.
        HOWEVER, if you want the HWE stack for newer kernels and xorg, you have to install the packages linux-generic-hwe-18.04 and xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

These are not installed by default in 18.04.0 and .1 or anyone who has upgraded from previous versions as not everyone wants or needs a constantly updated kernel and driver stack. As per usual, anyone who does a clean install of 18.04.2 and later will have the hwe stack by default.
        Ok, thanks, precisely to this I meant.So, if I understand correctly, installing linux-generic-hwe-18.04 and xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 is as if it had 18.04.2? The question refers to whether in the future it will "work" as a clean installation of 18.04.2 and its possible updates in kernel, kde ... etc ...

Thanks and regards.

Comment

No you will not get any new Plasma version, as you already have the latest available to Kubuntu. As is the norm you can get updated Plasma LTS versions via Kubuntu’s ppa , which do eventually make it to the normal repos after some testing time.

And yes adding those hwe packages will keep you up to date with newer kernels as they are released.

The updated iso image release is to give new installs much fewer updates to perform as well as enabling the hwe stack for those non-mission-critical setups. The .2 versions of LTS Ubuntu releases are the normal place for the hwe to be made available.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            No you will not get any new Plasma version, as you already have the latest available to Kubuntu. As is the norm you can get updated Plasma LTS versions via Kubuntu’s ppa , which do eventually make it to the normal repos after some testing time.

And yes adding those hwe packages will keep you up to date with newer kernels as they are released.

The updated iso image release is to give new installs much fewer updates to perform as well as enabling the hwe stack for those non-mission-critical setups. The .2 versions of LTS Ubuntu releases are the normal place for the hwe to be made available.
            Thanks for explanation.
            Yes, I have the ppa backports and kubuntu's ppa enabled.

Again, thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X