This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Firejail Usage

Hey guys, just trying to learn how to use "firejail" I installed firejail via the Terminal and firetools from sourceforge. I can't get firefox to browse the web after running 'firejail firefox' in the terminal. Seems as though I'm doing something wrong though I've read three different sites on how to install and use firejail. I'll link to what I think is the best one. FirejailWordpress Tutorial. This one is a little daunting, but the other simpler tutorials don't mention anything that I may be doing wrong either.

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][B]word-8@word-8-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC[/B]:[B]~[/B]$ firejail firefox
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/firefox.profile
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-common.inc
    Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
    Parent pid 11302, child pid 11303
    Blacklist violations are logged to syslog
    Child process initialized in 68.20 ms

[/FONT]
    I wonder if I was supposed to run this: 'sudo firecfg' ?

I also wonder if I needed to install the newest version? and if so, I guess on Linux I need to uninstall the original and reinstall the newer version?

And, lastly, it seems as though they are saying I need to create an auxiliary ~/Downloads, or something to that effect? Maybe this is why it is not working?

Thanks, Nasty
    Last edited by Nasty7; Feb 04, 2019, 10:18 PM.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/issues/2017
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1776175

Uninstall the version you have and grab the current one that the creator(s) provide.
    Or add the fixed profiles to your existing setup. I'd go with the most up to date version if I wanted to mess around with this, myself.

Comment

Will do claydoh. I would think the one in the repositories is not all that old at this point with 18.04 but what do I know. Is there nothing else special that one needs to know? I do have NoSript and Addblock Plus installed.

Comment

No idea. Never heard of firejail before.
        It is one of the many pieces of software that is not actually packaged by ubuntu, in the so-called 'universe' category. These are usually smaller, less popular/less used bits of software imported automagically when Ubuntu grabs a snapshot of Debian when they begin developing the next Ubuntu release, and are considered 'unsupported'

firejail is a small, very niche thing to be sure, and has had at least 6 releases in about a year.

You probably will find better info and troubleshooting from the project's website if no one here has actually used it.

Comment

Never heard of firejail before.
          It's for the security paranoid...lol, just kidding. Nice little program though, and just a bit of interest on my part, not something I need. I know lot's of others use it, but I've never had a security issue on linux but a few browser bugs/infections that a good cache cleaning won't cure.

Comment

Used firejail for a short time, very much a learning curve, but I had this thing, possibly like yourself, of being ultra-secure by sandboxing certain parts of the system before running progs - rather like snap packages.

However a system upgrade brought in a bunch of new progs and next thing my whole desktop was sandboxed - leaving no option but to crash out, restart and delete everything firejail related asap.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
              Used firejail for a short time, very much a learning curve, but I had this thing, possibly like yourself, of being ultra-secure by sandboxing certain parts of the system before running progs - rather like snap packages.
              Yes, I think all of us are a little security conscious to some degree and I'm certainly no exception. I also like to TRY to help others and test out packages sometimes to see if they are malware or not.

However a system upgrade brought in a bunch of new progs and next thing my whole desktop was sandboxed - leaving no option but to crash out, restart and delete everything firejail related asap.

YMMV
              This is exactly what I was afraid of, and is why I did not choose to sandbox my desktop as one command suggests. I'm sure this is all over my head, but just wanted to try it out in the simplest manner, with Firefox. I've wanted to use a sandbox for quite a while now, mostly to download windows packages and scan them, but don't know if this is what firejail will do. And to investigate whether or not a website is legit or not. I've come across sites that I'm unsure about, but need to use them. And have had what looks like legit sites send me emails, but they don't look right, and I want to check it out myself.

Comment

Working...
              X