Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software from the KDE Store - how is it updated?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software from the KDE Store - how is it updated?

If I install a new window decoration theme from the KDE Store using System Settings > Application Style > Window Decorations > Get New Decorations, how is that theme to be updated?
    Kubuntu 20.04

You go back there where you installed it, and look at the installed theme/etc. If there is an update available it will show, so you click on the update button if there is one.

Now, if you install these from within Discover instead, updates will show up there. At least I have seen a theme update there (using KDE NEon - it should work in 18.04).

Themes don't often see updates as it depends on the creator(s) to do so.

Comment

Claydoh is very correct.

"Themes" as such do not receive "much" in terms of "updates" and if one goes to "KDE look" one will see themes which have not been updated in ...ummm years!

Basicallyk, "a theme is a theme is a theme"... if a theme is not doing what you, particularly, am not satisfied with the standard answer is:

"Read the F manual"...well no...not so much at Kubuntu forums or even at KDE forum

but, basically, all that can be done for a THEME... is to

a) first ...complain to the person who coded the theme if it was "one person"...and there is then the whole thing about whether the person did it as a "one off" to "learn KDE" or "learn Ubuntu" or to "learn Linux"... and then just walked away as do Windblows devs who are paid to "do something" and then they...walk away...
      b) if there is no satisfaction there then maybe post to "KDE look" moderators to inquire if there will be updates etc and MAYBE they will try to contact the person who uploaded "the theme".
      c) if...and ...IF...a theme is sufficiently well received and...

WORKS...vertically through many versions of an OS and horizontally across many "distros" and " a lot of" hardware platforms then...

it MAY become a "theme" in the repos for a distro...

Without getting into details, I was a 'developer" for a certain distro and...it is...welll just ...exhausting... working "upstream" and "downstream" and "crossstreram"...

so...to your question..." how is the theme to be updated?"...

You...in particular, and others in general, MIGHT see an "update" to a theme ONLY if it seems to be the developers, in general, to be a thing that "needs" to be updated.

So...to your question.

a) query the person who developed the particular theme in KDE look.
      b) If it was not developed by "a person" in KDE look then inquire at "KDE" in terms of "themes"...
      c) Kubuntu...not so much... Kubuntu uses the things from "upstream" that seems to be "something that most people want and seems to work for most people".

So, hey, hope that this provides some perspective...

IT IS NOT TO SAY THAT YOUR INQUIRY IS NOT A GOOD INQUIRY...

I am just trying to provide some perspective...

wood I am sure that someone smarter than me will pop in to help smoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Just some background …

The reason I asked is because someone else wanted to know! See https://i.stack.imgur.com/LYJya.png or https://askubuntu.com/questions/1114...ant-be-updated

I'm quite happy with Kubuntu's default Breeze theme!

Anyway, I've installed the Quasi Deepin themes from the KDE Store and will see what happens in case there are updates. The developer is not inactive.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

here's an example:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190201_112932.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	644124

Comment

Working...
          X