Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Install Pepper Flash For Firefox?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Install Pepper Flash For Firefox?

I have tried various ways to download and install pepper flash in Kubuntu 18.04. (Yes I know that flash is outdated and should not be used, but I'm on a composers forum that still uses it). I have downloaded the 64 bit version for firefox from the Adobe site, which gives me a tar.gz file. I have extracted that to a .so file. I have studied tutorials on installing from this in Ubuntu, but I don't know if they will work in Kubuntu. I did see an old tutorial here on doing this, but it was 5 or so years old. Would that still work? It was by Steve Riley. Or should I try something else at this point in time, given that both Kubuntu and Flash player have evolved? (OK, flash may have devolved, but that's another story).

Thank you,

mike

You are doing this the 'hard way'. Pepper Flash (plugin) is available within the default repositories. You can either open Muon Package Manager and search for 'pepperflashplugin' and select to have it installed, or open a konsole and type: sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you Snohog. I didn't even know I had Muon (I guess that makes me a moron). In fact, one of the ways I tried to install it was to install Synaptic. Another was through gdebi. Then the tar.gz method.

So it did install through Muon. but it doesn't seem to want to load in Firefox. It is not listed as an available plugin. I rebooted, but no help. Should I seek help from Mozilla on this?

Also, should I uninstall Synaptic, seeing as Muon seems to be the same kind of app?

Comment

Have you tried installing flashplugin-installer in Moun? I did not have it installed (I use Opera for most everything), but once I did the stock ubuntu version of Firefox now shows Flash Player v32.0 is installed as well as shows the animation on the About Adobe Flash page. While doing some research on this topic showed that the pepperflashplugin-nonfree did have a bug that caused it not to work in Firefox, but according to the bug report it should be fixed now:
        https://askubuntu.com/questions/1050...x-ubuntu-18-04
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1778041

As for Muon vs. Synaptic, it is personal choice. I have used both and both work very well (at least in the last couple of years, Moun has matured quite well from its beginnings). The main reason to stick with Moun is it is KDE proper, where as Synaptic will pull in a bunch of gtk libraries that you may not need otherwise in Kubuntu.
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Thanks Benny. Yeah, I installed it with Muon. And it did install. When I try to run the music player in the forum, it tells me to right click on flash, on that little puzzle piece. I click it, it then asks me if I want to allow flash; I say yes, and then nothing happens.

I also have Linux Lite, and it is working there. Also, I installed Iron browser in Kubuntu, and it was working in that, but quit after I installed flash via Muon. Very weird.

Thanks for that info on Muon. I'll use it as default, but keep Synaptic around in case I need it.

Comment

You can always try removing flashpligin-installer in Moun (right click package -> Mark for Purge) and try re-installing pepperflashplugin-nonfree to see if that fixes Iron (which appears to be an implementation of Chromium). Have you tried installing Chromium to see if flash works there? Unfortunately my knowledge of Chrome/Chromium based browsers end at Opera (we deploy Chrome at work but I avoid it when I can) and since Flash is being discontinued next year I have stop using it as much as possible.

I have to apologize since I might have given you some bad advice. I have been using macOS almost exclusively since I got my new Mac mini in November. Last I knew Chromium browsers included their own version of pepperflash and I thought you didn't need to install anything else past that. I am apparently a bit rusty in the GNU/Linux realm.
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Thanks Benny, I'll give that shot. Don't worry about any advice you've given me, I probably don't know the good from the bad at this point. I always appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
              X