X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue With Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client

Hi,

Just reinstalled Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 64Bit.

I noticed while install my apps the following:
    When searching for "thunderbird" in Discover app, it's hidden all the way on the bottom?
    When a person searches for "thunderbird" it *should* be the 1st search result.

With all the controversy in the news about Google and FaceBook suppressing things
    I would not have expected the same from Kubuntu?

Please put Thunderbird back where it belongs.
    It is without argument the *best* cross-platform email client ever made.

Thanks!

Jesse

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
    Hi,

Just reinstalled Kubuntu 18.04 LTS 64Bit.

I noticed while install my apps the following:
    When searching for "thunderbird" in Discover app, it's hidden all the way on the bottom?
    When a person searches for "thunderbird" it *should* be the 1st search result.
    When I search "thunderbird" in Discover it is the first thing that comes up. Maybe that is because it is already installed.

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee
    With all the controversy in the news about Google and FaceBook suppressing things
    I would not have expected the same from Kubuntu?
    You're comparing the fact that Thunderbird doesn't come up first in the search list with Google and facebook?

Did you ever consider it just maybe a quirk in Discover's search engine and not a conscious decision by Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

It is without argument the *best* cross-platform email client ever made.
    While I'm a fan and have been using Thunderbird for years, I'm sure you can find plenty of people(including on this forum)who can/will argue that point.
    Last edited by SpecialEd; Jan 06, 2019, 01:29 PM.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

While I personally agree that Thunderbird is the best email client, I have to say that I'm puzzled by the result out of Discovery. I'll admit that I almost never use Discovery for anything, but unless there is a setting to show results in inverse order, I can't imagine why it would show thunderbird last when entered completely spelled out in the search box.

I have nothing by way of explanation ...

I generally use Synaptic or CLI, and occasionally Muon, to find and install software.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

This is on KDE neon 5.14 with Discover covering half the screen of my 1366x768 laptop. If I maximize Discover, I have to scroll down a bit to see Thunderbird because the row height for each item seems to increase.
        Attached Files
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          I can't imagine why it would show thunderbird last when entered completely spelled out in the search box.
          Huh? IF you type the full name, it will be the ONLY match found, so be at the 'top' of a list on one.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You should file a bug at bugs.kde.org.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Huh? IF you type the full name, it will be the ONLY match found, so be at the 'top' of a list on one.
              Yes. And if you type only Thu and hit Enter, it pops up at the top of the list. (18.04)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

FWIW, on cosmic for me Thunderbird Mail is at the top, but maybe that is because I've installed it. My Discover has a "Sort:" box at the top left, which doesn't appear to affect anything. Resizing the Discover window causes weird changes in its layout.

It crashes on exit too. I've avoided it for years.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  FWIW, on cosmic
                  Is that without the backports ppa? What version is Discover on your system? The image I posted in #4 in this thread is from Discover 5.14.4.

I don't have Thunderbird installed (as may be seen from the image). It's unclear whether those reporting T'bird at the top of the list have it installed already.

I do have Firefox installed but that too needs scrolling down to be seen!

Let's see if there's some clarity with 5.14.5.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Something similar is here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399502

Anyway, when trying to see what turned up on my system when searching for torrent, KDE neon 5.14, fully updated, I saw these listings which are quite different than the two supplied as attachments in the bug. I'm wondering where some of those entries came from! This is what the first page looks like. The second is no better.
                    Attached Files
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle
                      FWIW, on cosmic
                      (Note that due to brain fade I typed "top-left" when I meant "top right".)
                      Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                      Is that without the backports ppa?
                      No.
                      What version is Discover on your system?
                      5.13.5-1ubuntu6.15.13.5-1ubuntu6.1
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi,

Searched "Thunderbird" in Discover app and this is what I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu18_04-ThunderbirdNoWhereToBeFound.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	644102

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

Hi,

Searched "Thunderbird" in Discover app and this is what I get:

Thanks!

Jesse
                          As I noted in post #10, Discovery has issues sorting search results! Even Firefox suffers the same fate. The bug I linked is https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399502. There's nothing you or I can do about it if we can't contribute code The developers are aware of the issue and it will be fixed. But even then, I don't know if the fix will be backported to 18.04.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                          X