This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korganizer not showing reminders

I'm having problems with KOrganizer on a fresh install of Kubuntu 18.04.1. I downloaded all pending updates.

At first I couldn't create an appointment because it didn't seem to find my calendar, but that fixed itself after a reboot.

Secondly, it won't let me enter an am time. It switches everything to pm. I searched and found a workaround is to change time format to UK in system settings, which seems to have put it in 24-hour time. This is annoying, but it works at least.

The major problem now that I can't find a fix for is that reminders don't come up. If I create a new appointment and set a reminder, nothing visible happens when the time for the reminder is reached. There seem to have been bugs of this nature in the past, but I couldn't find anything relevant to 18.04.

Anyone know anything about KOrganizer reminders not working in the current LTS?

Sadly I don' thave a solution as I'm having the exact same problem I was about to post up the same question here.

I'm running kubuntu 18.10 - Everything in the calendar is peachy except no reminders.

Comment

Hi Raichu
      Unfortunately, back before the forum was streamlined and most of the older posts put into archive there were dozens and dozens and dozens of threads about the many, many problems with Korgaizer and KDE PIM in general.

I, myself spent what must have been "days" of total time fiddling with it through two forums and several years,

Sometimes it just worked like a charm, really just like a charm. The whole problem is with Akonadi the grand concept was, indeed, a grand concept but it just very seldom seemed to get everything together in one place at one time.

The whole reminder thing didn't really get resolved until maybe two ( ? ) years ago? it was a wonderful thing and then, in the space of dunno a couple of months the whole reminders and tasks and all of it went to "dceoeo"

Another problem was with dealing with an email system like MS Office at a work place and then, all of a sudden it would work and then not. There was also gmail. Both of them purposly "change something" so that one can't use an onboard client trying to force you to use their web client, and with Gmail so you had to have advertisings in front of you.

So...Kubuntu a release or so ago just dropped the whole Kmail thing and opted for, I think, Thunderbird which works just neaty keen, why it does I don't know.

So, most folks seem to have moved away from Kmail, PIM etc.

There ARE some people who HAVE gotten this and that to work, there are threads to that effect on the forum so, I would recommend that you PLEASE WAIT, maybe sign up for a notification for this thread, "watch it" and someone will pop by and provide a fix.

To that end I have basically moved to the web based clients, the college is now doing everything through MS cloud ( I personally think that MS Cloud is set up to search for viruses, malware, etc. for things like corporate accounts that pay heavily for the security). and do "the basic work" from my Android. grrrr...but it all works!

Again, I apologize for this, really, but would, again, request that you please watch the thread and somebody might be able to give you a fix somewhat quickly.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, for grins and giggles I installed Kontact 5.10.1 and it would not connect with the college Outlook e-mail, the feeds started and filled.
        So i will fiddle with setting appointments and reminders tomorrow. I do it using gmail so that may be a problem in and of itself.
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Well, for grins and giggles I installed Kontact 5.10.1 and it would not connect with the college Outlook e-mail, the feeds started and filled.
          So i will fiddle with setting appointments and reminders tomorrow. I do it using gmail so that may be a problem in and of itself.
          woodsmoke
          Thanks so much for giving this a try Woodsmoke - In fact all my scheduling goes through gmail as well so I'd love to see how it performs for you.

Comment

LOL
            welll... that kind of depends on just who is paying for things. lol

a) I ...personally "literally type in" "things" into Gmail itself, but...when IT IS WORKING...I can also type into Kontact or Thunderbird into the calendar stuff and "everybody talks to everybody"...

when it works it works ever so sweetly...

alas and alack.because Microsoft and Google change 'APIS" to expressly foul things up for "third party apps"... what worked yesterday may not work today.

BOTH... Kontack and Gmail... did... about three semesters ago... accept a .cvs file from the college which I then "clicked into" Kontact and Thunderbird...

It was a STATIC ...READ ONLY file from the college with "all of the stuff for a semester"...

and it worked MARVELLOUSLY...

But then... "the college IT people" discovered something...

all those wonderful high falutin professors that DEMAND this or that...

no... when they actually had the file... almost none of them actually KNEW how to load a .csv file...

and it all went to crap.

WHEN KONTACT is WORKING...it is the "nexus" between Gmail and an IMAP thing from a windows(tm) system...BUT

If windblows(tm) changes something then Kontact dosn't work and if Gmail changes something then Kontact dosnt work...

IN TERMS OF CALENDAR AND EMAIL...

Contacts from gmail or MS;...no biggie...

those are "static" so not much that gmail or ms can do to get in your way and make you mad.

so here is the crital path.

if you can get Akonadi to "work" ...Neon has problems because it is always at the tip of the spear but////// ///apparently there is no "script" that will automagically take care of when MS or Google decide o change things...

contacts work
            feeds work
            for me schkeduling works IF ONE DOES NOT INTERACT with gmail or msoffice plan...
            a "home calendar" works jiffy nice...

But...and this is what Google and MS WANT...they want to make it SO tedious that you just "give up"...

CODA

jUST BECAUSE OF THIS...I GO TO ABOUT TWICE THE EFFORT... TO DO SIMPLE OFFICE THINGS...

THERE ARE OLD TIMERS HERE...WHO LAUGH IN DERISION THAT i DO THIS... "why do I waste y time" ?

I do it because I WANT TO...

I do it because maybe a thousand small cuts will eventually topple the statue...

I do it because maybe the ideals of a fim named TRON still has relevance in this day and age...

where one guy...it could be you or me...rose up against the controller...

I write and make presentations in what used to be called Koffice...totally free...totally open source...now known as Calligra...

I then ...CONVERT...through LibreOffice to a MS compatible format...and then I send it out or put it on a usb stick to use...

Do I have to "pay attention" to use "generic formatting"...yes... but that is ok...

at least i have made some small gesture ...

My rather inconsequential disc...thrown at the "old" or "new in disguise' controller...or maybe people who just want to be in control...

dunno...just sayin'...

But...at least ...I have THROWN the disc!!!!

woodlikestothrowdiscssmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Dec 22, 2018, 09:31 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

KOrganizer worked reasonably OK for me with my older version of Kubuntu. It's sad that it's not improving.

Are there alternatives that people use, preferably something that does not rely on internet connectivity?

Comment

Thunderbird does a workmanlike job if one enables all of the extensions. Doesn't have feeds but there are several feed apps avaialble.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X