This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okular cannot open xps file

I understand that Okular can read and display xps files, in my case it cannot. Could someone confirm that should be able to do this please. I have the version that comes standard with 18.04. I have attached the file in question.
    Attached Files

i tried to open this file with Okular and master pdf editor in linux. No success.
    I tried to open it in windows (xps viewer). No success
    I tried an online converter. The file was converted to an empty pdf file.

Perhaps your file is corrupt??

I tried some samples from internet. Sometimes they can be opened by okular sometimes not.
    Last edited by v7peer; Dec 10, 2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I could open it in Geany. This is what I see:
      Code:
      <PresetXMLTree version="2">
      	<Preset Name="Expand Sats" GenericType="C1  ">
      		<PresetHeader>
      			<PluginName>C1</PluginName>
      			<PluginVersion>8.0.0.12</PluginVersion>
      			<ReadOnly>false</ReadOnly>
      		</PresetHeader>
      		<MessageToShell/>
      		<PresetData Setup="CURRENT">
      			<Parameters Type="RealWorld">0.010000000000000000208 0 0.5 30 0.98605000000000009308 0 -35 0 -100 *
      * 0 -100 -100 2 50 0 -0.099999999999999977796 1.1999999999999999556
      5.9363067405473755045 1 * * 0 0 0 -100 -100
      * * * * 0 0 0 7179 0.5999999999999999778
      0 0 173 173 0 0 0 0 *
      * * * * </Parameters>
      		</PresetData>
      	</Preset>
      </PresetXMLTree>
      And
      Code:
      $ file "C1 Settings.xps"
      C1 Settings.xps: ASCII text
      Okular couldn't open it. Do you have another .xps file?
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

A xps file is a zip file (see wiki).
        I downloaded a sample file from the internet. This file: 'sample.xps' could be opened by okular.

In the terminal I see:
        Code:
        $ file sample.xps
        sample.xps: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
        So I doubt if your file is a xps file (but I do not know much about these files so I can be wrong)

Comment

Thanks guys, the core problem I have is that the program that runs these files is not reporting the preset name correctly. Okular can open up some xps files not generated by this program so I am at a bit of a loss to understand. The preset can be called and is correct in terms of the settings information. All the xps files this program generates cannot be opened by Okular.

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
            ...the program that runs these files is not reporting the preset name correctly.
            What program would that be?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, that was a bit obtuse of me. The program in question is Waves which is a set of audio effects called VSTs which are applied to a wave editing program, in this case Steinburg's Wave Lab. I did not go into this problem because it is a bit complicated (installing one program into another) and niche and also involves Wine so I thought this was not an appropriate forum to bring this problem to. The xps files in question are settings files for the VST effects. As part of investigating the problem I came across the issue with Okular which is quite straight forward so I only mentioned that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

The help page in Okular does not state that it will read xps files so I needed to verify that. It does appear that even though these files are called xps they are not what we would normally expect an xps file to be, suspicion being that they are some proprietary file type created by Waves, coincidentally called xps files. So I think that my Okular works fine and for the purposes of this forum is resolved although my "real" problem still needs to be investigated and resolved, perhaps in a more appropriate forum.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Comment

Working...
              X