This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Thunderbird gorked

I've been using TB for two email domain adressess (IMAP). Today, I was installing the Mail client on an iPad and I gorked up all the settings. I find it near impossible to enter passwords on an iPad without making mistakes.

Next, I contacted my domain host, and they unblocked the account.

I can now access my TB email accounts (x2) from Windows 10 but not Kubuntu. TB just times out. The settings are the same as for Windows 10. (I've abandoned Mail on the iPad in the meantime).

So, I reckon TB is corrupted in some way. I plan to uninstall TB and reinstall from scratch. I don't care about retaining anything as it is all backed up elsewhere.

Any advice on how to 'clean' install Thunderbird?

Thanks!

Uninstall it and then remove ALL traces of it in your /home folder, including any hidden files/directories that were created by TB.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. Thunderbird reinstalled successfully from Konsole.

For others:

Uninstall using Discovery, then:

Use CTRL-H to show hidden files in the /home folder. These have a dot (.thunderbird) in front. Only remove ones you know are TB files or folders. I found just this one and removed it. CTRL-H to hide files again.
      Last edited by JoHubb; Nov 05, 2018, 02:11 AM.

Comment

From time to time, software does become unstable. From personal experience, it's probably more user error (usually unintended, of course!), but it happens. Removal - utter and complete is best. Be careful, though, when important data is associated with that failed program. There are several ways to eliminate and purge the program: Synaptic, apt, dpkg all have "purge" type options. Discovery is the last one I would think of to use. In general, even those "purge" options don't remove important data files in your home directory, and sometimes the important data files are co-located in sub directories with probably suspect configuration files. So be careful when bulldozing the bad stuff.

And it is definitely O.K. to be curious about what is in the "hidden" file structures. I always leave mine unhidden in Dolphin.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

The purge command definately does NOT remove config files in your home account.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Aww, come on GG, that's what I said O.K., not well stated " ...those "purge" options don't remove important data files in your home directory". It is important to note that some config files will also be located in /home, and sometimes very close to personal data files. So when continuing the purge in those areas be careful ...
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
            X