X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kbackup

Does anyone know how to install Kbackup in 18.04.1

This program was last updated in 2013. According to Sourceforge.net "KBackup is an easy-to-use backup package for Unix. It was originally writen by Karsten Balluder. Currently, it's development has stagnated, and several fixes are needed."

Given it's age, it likely won't run under Plasma.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sudo apt-get install kbackup

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      This program was last updated in 2013. According to Sourceforge.net "KBackup is an easy-to-use backup package for Unix. It was originally writen by Karsten Balluder. Currently, it's development has stagnated, and several fixes are needed."

Given it's age, it likely won't run under Plasma.
      It's not on sourceforge now, and is ported and part of regular KDE applications releases since 18.04

https://cgit.kde.org/kbackup.git/

https://community.kde.org/Applicatio..._Release_Notes

Tarballs that join the KDE Applications release

• kamoso
      • kbackup
      • kopete (previously excluded in Applications/17.12, ported to KF5)
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I may be completely off topic, but if all you need is a backup tool and you asked for Kbackup because it sounds like it's the tool to use on Kubuntu...check out the BRTFS thread here, this may be a much smarter approach to backups!

Comment

I found this Here
          https://utils.kde.org/projects/kbackup/
          KBackup

A Backup program with an easy to use User Interface.

The latest stable release is version 18.08, included in KDE Applications 18.08. KBackup is a free and open source software, available for Linux and similar operating systems under the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2.

I like this program under 16.04 because I could Restroe from a Live cd

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            sudo apt-get install kbackup

It's not on sourceforge now, and is ported and part of regular KDE applications releases since 18.04

https://cgit.kde.org/kbackup.git/

https://community.kde.org/Applicatio..._Release_Notes
            If that is true, then why isn't it located by a search in Muon Package Manager? I have all the repositories active, and it isn't in any of them.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
              I may be completely off topic, but if all you need is a backup tool and you asked for Kbackup because it sounds like it's the tool to use on Kubuntu...check out the BRTFS thread here, this may be a much smarter approach to backups!
              Of course the only useful backup is the one that is not on your active hard drive(s) and is restorable. There are probably a hundred ways to backup your data regardless of filesystem. Pick one, use it consistently, verify your off system storage periodically. I use rsync, and I have a rotating set of three external hard drives. I keep notes on when I made each backup and on which external drive it is. Doing a backup takes some time - especially a full backup. But that's what the TV or the back porch is for
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Exactly! A backup isn't a backup unless it is stored on a drive that is located some place else. It doesn't matter how many archive HDs containing your data exist if they are all located inside your home or apartment and it burns down.

It probably takes me all of a minute or two to open a Konsole, sudo -i to root, and issue two mount commands for /mnt and /backu, take two snapshots, @ and @home, and then execute two send & receive commands to move the two snapshots to /backup. The sending and receiving is done incrementally and takes about 7-10 minutes total, depending on the time between snapshots, but it works in the background and I can continue to use my system. Even when taking the snapshots I do not need to power down and mount the drives using a LiveUSB or such. When the send and receive is done I umount /mnt and /backup. The /backup is the removable HD. I also have two internal HDs beside the SSD holding Bionic, and they are, in turn, mounted on /backup for getting the new snapshots.

BTW, that reminds me. TIme to do a backup!

EDIT:
                Did the backups.
                Both the @20180927 and the @home20180927 snapshots returned immediately after the command was executed.
                I did an incremental between 20180914 and 20180927. To a send -p & receive: for @home20180927 it took 90 seconds. For @20180927 it took 20 seconds. An SSD makes quite a difference!
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 27, 2018, 04:56 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I see a huge, really huge, problem with Kbackup. Any possible speed performance compared to other backup software (and really there is), is rendered completely useless by wait time Dolphin (or Ark) needs to open tar file. It takes forever. And when it is opened if it is a subfolder inside, it takes again forever. Maybe Kbackup can work with huge media files, but a lot of small files inside backup it is a nightmare.

Comment

The answer there is don't make a tarball. Use a regular hard drive, larger than your source directory(ies), and use something rsync-based to make an identical copy on an external target drive. You can use multiples in some sort of full backup/incremental backup pattern and eliminate the tarball opening issues. Yes, it takes more equipment (I have a rotating set of 4 external drives), but it's the old problem of "bigger, faster, cheaper - pick two". I use cheap spinners and have enough slack (with the 4 drives) so that if one spinner dies, I can go to the 'bay and get another within a matter of days.
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

If developers of KBackup read this I would like to ask them something more simpler. Just for one option in profile to chose between tar or not.
                      I have "bad" habbit to not trust any backup tool and after (sometimes even before) backup is finished surf through folders to check if backup is OK done. And there is tar that takes time enough for Game of thrones to finish. Really unnecessary for such nice KDE tool.
                      (Concretely I am speaking about my case of web development folder. Thousands of small files. I made a test, just took 3 websites folders, and made backup. Still takes very long time to open TAR.)
                      Last edited by Stagger Lee; Aug 20, 2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I use BackInTime.
                        It doesn't compress, takes a little while for the first backup, but not much in the way of resources (you can do other things in the meantime) and after that only takes a few seconds.
                        To a USB drive too.
                        You can also schedule it, it runs in the background and you hardly notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stagger Lee View Post
                          I see a huge, really huge, problem with Kbackup. Any possible speed performance compared to other backup software (and really there is), is rendered completely useless by wait time Dolphin (or Ark) needs to open tar file. It takes forever. And when it is opened if it is a subfolder inside, it takes again forever. Maybe Kbackup can work with huge media files, but a lot of small files inside backup it is a nightmare.
                          rsync is a good tool for this I think

I did a backup of one of my systems a wile back 26G+ and if I remember correctly (I recently deleted it ) looking around in the files and directory's in the backup was just like browsing any directory , no waiting to unpack or anything like that .

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post420818

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Converted USB NTFS HDD to ext4. Gave it a chance, maybe it is NTFS making problems. Stilll painfully slow opening TAR. There is sure improvement over NTFS, but still not good.
                            Thank you for all advices. Reading and testing when time allows.

I love KBackup mostly because it allows me to save profile to extern USB HDD. (I have 4 of USB backups HDD and it is more convenient to just insert disk, clik on profile file and run backup. Than to do acrobatic with naming profiles so that it is easy to recognize what goes where in those 4 disks.
                            Amount of backup data is so huge now it is time maybe to invest in some nice NAS system.

Comment

Working...
                            X