This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packaging syntax issue

For a little while now, when I update my system, a package warning is generated:

pkg: warning: version '/etc/lsb-release' has bad syntax: version number does not start with digit

It doesn't appear to create any problems with the updating itself, but I've been curious as to whether or not I should be concerned. Running version lsb-release shows:

Code:
    lsb-release:
      Installed: 9.20170808ubuntu1
      Candidate: 9.20170808ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 9.20170808ubuntu1 500
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

for what it's worth , I get that as well and as you it seems to be no problem except for the warning .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And as is obvious from the listings, lsb-release does start with a digit. My guess is that the package information file itself is the cause of the warning, but I would like to know for sure. Personally, I'd like the package maintainer to be aware of it.

Comment

I have not seen this myself, but it is not a new bug.
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1597466
        This has newer bug reports marked as dupes

Comment

Thank you.

In the linked bug report, post #19 seems to be at the root of the problem?
          Code:
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Also Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS here.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]I tracked down the issue to the plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text.postinst script:[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Comparing /var/lib/dpkg/info/plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text.postinst and /var/lib/dpkg/info/plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text.postinst we see that the first has:[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]----------------------------------------
          case "$1" in
              configure|triggered)
                  if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
                          # We remove leftover generated file from previous plymouth version. Can be removed on xenial+1
                          if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" le-nl "0.9.2-3ubuntu1~"; then
                                  rm -f /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth
                          fi
                  fi
          ----------------------------------------[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]while the second has:[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]----------------------------------------
          case "$1" in
              configure|triggered)
                  # We remove leftover generated file from previous plymouth version. Can be removed on xenial+1
                  if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" le-nl "1:16.04ubuntu1~"; then
                      rm -f /lib/plymouth/themes/kubuntu-text/kubuntu-text.plymouth
                  fi
          ----------------------------------------[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]Notice the missing check for the "configure" argument. Also see [URL]http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/deb-postinst.5.html[/URL]:[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]       postinst configure old-version
                        After the package was installed.[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]       postinst triggered trigger-name...
                        After the package was triggered.[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]The actual "bad syntax" message is then generated because
            dpkg --compare-versions "$2" le-nl "1:16.04ubuntu1~"
          resolves to
            dpkg --compare-versions "/etc/lsb-release" le-nl "1:16.04ubuntu1~"
          which is of course not what dpkg expects ("/etc/lsb-release" being the trigger-name)[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#333333][FONT=monospace]So the bug seems to be a missing check for "configure" in the kubuntu version of the plymouth-theme postinst script.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Running a fully updated Kubuntu 18.04 and I am not seeing this error.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X