This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Woes with torrents

I just did the upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04, and I've run into one issue so far that has me perplexed.

qBittorrent has decided it will no longer work.

More specifically, it loads, it displays the splash screen, sometimes gets to the actual interface window..then just goes away. No error message, no hesitation, no nothing. Just gone. I checked the system monitor, and as best I can tell, it's not leaving anything in the background either.

To be completely clear: I used
    kdesudo "do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE"

from the terminal to do the upgrade.

That process seems to have worked flawlessly, other than qBittorrent taking a dive.

I tried reinstalling. I tried completely removing it, rebooting, then reinstalling. I have tried using Ktorrent and Deluge, and both of them are doing exactly the same thing.

Qbittorrent and Ktorrent I have tested with my laptop (still on 16.04) using the wired connection from my desktop, and it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

- Is this qbittorrent installed from the ubuntu main archive or a ppa?
    - Are there any errors shown if you try to run it from the command line?
    - If you backup and then remove ~/.config/qBittorrent/ folder, does that help?
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      - Is this qbittorrent installed from the ubuntu main archive or a ppa?
      - Are there any errors shown if you try to run it from the command line?
      - If you backup and then remove ~/.config/qBittorrent/ folder, does that help?
      IT was installed from a ppa, specifically ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stable

Removing the ~/.config/qBittorrent/ did nothing except make it repeat the first start notice window.

Running from the command line produced the following:

qBittorrent version: v4.1.2

Caught signal: SIGSEGV
      Stack trace:
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x7a840 [0x7f4ff8655840]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x107309 [0x7f4ff86e2309]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x10fede [0x7f4ff86eaede]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x204d7e [0x7f4ff87dfd7e]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x9ae0e [0x7f4ff8675e0e]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x9af66 [0x7f4ff8675f66]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0x13bffb [0x7f4ff8716ffb]
      /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9 : ()+0xa6522 [0x7f4ff8681522]
      /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 : ()+0x76db [0x7f4ff62716db]
      /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 : clone()+0x3f [0x7f4ff565688f]
      Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Comment

Seems you are not the only one:

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/9166

I would perhaps try:

- apt-get purge all the packages installed from the PPA, then
        - in /etc/apt/source.list.d/ make sure the qbittorrent .list file only has a bionic and not a xenial line. Edit it so if required. then,
        - apt-get update
        - apt-get install qbittorrent
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Seems you are not the only one:

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/9166

I would perhaps try:

- apt-get purge all the packages installed from the PPA, then
          - in /etc/apt/source.list.d/ make sure the qbittorrent .list file only has a bionic and not a xenial line. Edit it so if required. then,
          - apt-get update
          - apt-get install qbittorrent
          That worked perfectly. The github page you cited contains a solid explanation, but it's buried a ways down in the comments.

To cut to the basics, one of the dependencies did not update with the rest of the upgrade. The actions you listed corrects that.
          qbittorent functions perfectly after that.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

IF you aren't regularly using the command line to update your installed packages, that could have been the (ultimate) cause of your problem. Using the command line (konsole) to perform package management is not difficult and ensures (using the 'right' commands) your system will remain in top condition.

In a konsole: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              IF you aren't regularly using the command line to update your installed packages, that could have been the (ultimate) cause of your problem. Using the command line (konsole) to perform package management is not difficult and ensures (using the 'right' commands) your system will remain in top condition.

In a konsole: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
              Not in this case, as the ultimate reason is that the versioning is such that the library package included in the PPA did not upgrade to the Bionic version, as apt sees/saw the Xenial version as newer than the Bionic version.

Comment

Working...
              X