• Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] What does pressing F11 do?

On my laptop,
    it makes browser windows full-screen; not maximized, but full-screen;
    in LibreOffice Writer, it makes a side-pane visible;
    in Kate, it toggles line numbers ...

But an answer posted over at Ask Ubuntu has:
    You can toggle borders (including the titlebar) and the maximized state of windows with the function key F11.

This works in Kubuntu (I tested in Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS right now). F11 works also in standard Ubuntu and the other Ubuntu community flavours.
    Last edited by chimak111; Aug 14, 2018, 11:16 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Ditto.
    Not all comments at "Ask Ubuntu" are accurate.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm thinking it would be different depending on which application is in focus. I doubt that the OS has any specific action built in, unless the OS/window/DE is the only thing in focus.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks, @GreyGeek, @jglen490. Normally, the poster's information is on the money. That's what got me thinking.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          I'm thinking it would be different depending on which application is in focus. I doubt that the OS has any specific action built in, unless the OS/window/DE is the only thing in focus.
          For sure. Out of curiosity I searched all of the System Setting concerning keyboards and input devices for any F11 assignments and found none. Each app has their own key assignments. For the common things the assignments are the same across apps but not necessarily for esoteric actions.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X