This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTorrent Doesn't Work

I don't often use KTorrent, but recently I've tried to download several items using the torrent and I get the following error message:

Unable to create home/Steve/.local/share/ktorrent/tor0/torrent: Permission denied

What's going on here? I can't figure it out. I'm using Kubuntu 18.04.

You likely have some file and folder permissions messed up in your home dir. There are a number of causes, but running GUI programs using sudo is the most common one.
    It is easy to fix, from the command line:

Code:
    sudo chown -R your-username:your-username /home/your-username
    This will make sure that all the files in your /home are owned by you, which should fix this problem.

Comment

And you can run ls -alR | grep root from within $HOME before running the code provided by claydoh just to see what all is owned by root in your home folder.
      Last edited by chimak111; Jul 13, 2018, 08:48 PM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I tried everything listed above, and still get the same error messages (tor0, tor1, tor2) but nonetheless it's now downloading Ubuntu Studio without a problem.. But I seem to have a lot of things owned by root.

Comment

The files may already exist and have permissions set read only, instead of being owned by the wrong user.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            But I seem to have a lot of things owned by root.
            this could be a problem , post the output of
            Code:
            find ~/ -user root
            wile loged in as you .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I got no output whatsoever. Maybe I misunderstood what I was looking at when I ran the ls-alR | grep root command earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                I got no output whatsoever. Maybe I misunderstood what I was looking at when I ran the ls-alR | grep root command earlier.
                that command will list anything with "root" in the name even if "root" is just part of the hole word/string ,like, "steamrootdialog_gamespage_details2.layout" ore the like .

since the command I gave you turned up nothing , see post #5

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I had the same problem on a fresh install of whatever the latest LTS is. I just renamed the file, then loaded KTorrent again. I got an error message that it couldn't create the file (same file number as in first error message) but KTorrent opened. Then I had to make the magnet link work in Firefox, and tested one. I got a bunch of error messages about not being able to open or save some tor# files, but the magnet link worked. Annoying, but a workaround for the time being. I suspect it has to do with improperly removed torrents from my previous OS.

Comment

Working...
                  X