X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar old style quick launch or launcher

Hi,
    Yesterday I added a widget called 'Launcher' or similar that added the old windows style "quick launch" to the taskbar. Today it is gone and I cannot find it anywhere.
    What is going on (Please if this can be answered) ?

Was it because I uninstalled binary clock (yeah this application is really necessary) and when I did so it listed about 20 things it was going to remove even thou I know they were needed due to other applications like analogue clock. (I clicked on it to remove and it showed a similar list of things it wanted to remove as well)

Thanks
    Charlie

Hi
    Don't think that we have exchanged phosphors before...welcome to the friendliest forum on the net!

It is possible, just possible, that you are mixing terms...

In the first para you stated that you 'added a widget".

in the second para you stated that you "uninstalled' the binary clock ( I take note of the "British" spelling! )lol.

And you continue on to say that " it listed 20 things that it was going to remove"

Well, dunno but "adding / removing (taking it away from the panel or desktop) a widget" and "installing/uninstalling" are two totally different things.

You also said that you "removed".. well "remove" can be interpreted several ways...

Remove might refer to you just "take it away from the panel and it is still in the add widgets function" and it disappears but the librares and app are still in the system.

Or it could be that you did, indeed "remove it from the OS" through synaptic or the terminal

I'm not asking "why" you chose to uninstall the binary clock because I assume that you have a reason but ...yeah... from your post a "remove / uninstall" using Synaptic or terminal would possibly some other stuff with it that was associated tangentaly with the "launcher"

And that other stuff that was removed POSSIBLY... included things like "graphics libraries" which are common to all of the widgets etc.

so... dunno... it might require an attempt at "re-installing" the binary clock and if successful, some kind of "apt-get install binary clock" or maybe re-installing all of the packages in Synaptic which are involved with the whole widget part of the Plasma desktop, which could take a lot of looking around ...probably some more smarter guy than the old woodsmoker here at the forum might post ..."oh...just put this into terminal" and it will be done.

hey, again, good to exchange phosphors and don't be a stranger to the forum!

woodintriguingquestionsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 27, 2018, 07:24 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I'm nearly certain you're referring to a widget called the Application Launcher. It looks like what you're describing. You can add it back by clicking the three-dash icon on any panel, then choosing Add Widgets.
      From there, just drag your favourite widgets to whichever panel you prefer (or even directly onto the desktop). If your widgets are out of order, click the three-dash icon again to re-enter edit mode.

If Application Launcher is not in the widget menu, then, as woodsmoke suggested, we might have to consider that you uninstalled it, or uninstalled a package that the widget requires. Let us know how far into the process you can get.

Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Working...
      X