X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark cannot handle tar files on a fresh install

Hi!

I cannot open tar files with Ark on a Kubuntu 18.04 fresh install. Also, Ark cannot open it from a Kubuntu 18.04 live usb. I checked the files with Ubuntu Mate live usb and works fine. And yes, tar is already installed.

So... please, help me!

Ark opens tar files just fine here on an installed system or live iso

I honestly could not count the number of them I have opened with Ark without issue.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I just installed Xarchiver in order to see if it's an Ark problem, and it did not work either. So I take tar is not working at all. Don't know why...

Comment

Purge tar and re-install it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I cannot make tar to work on Ark, but at least it is not broken (Ark is). I learn to extract via terminal. I opened Konsole on the folder via right click 'Actions'->'Open a terminal here' and type "tar -xvf filename.tar". It works just fine.

Comment

Did you feel "spiritual awakened" by using old school tar?
            Go ahead and do what the advice given in reddit recommended: Purge ark and re-install it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

LOL ok, you got me. I tried to purge tar, but it did not work either. Just intalled Engrampa, that seems to work well with tar files.
              Thanks!

Comment

Did you try file-roller?

Comment

No... why?

Comment

File-roller is just an GTK version of Ark.

I believe that both Ark and tar are fine. Something else is blocking their work, or not making it visible when you use it/them.

Comment

I just installed File-roller just to test it and I can't even launch it from Discover or even find it on the menu. Fine...

Anyway, I found that Ark can create tar files and handle these files just right. My problem is only with some files created by other people (don't know how), but Engrampa can extract them so I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X